PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage 93 magazine feeding issue

purser54
09-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey guys, I posted a thread last week or so asking for your advice on buying a Savage 93 .22 mag. I ended up getting it, along with a nice Simmons 3-9x32, 150 rounds of ammo, and an extra magazine for a great deal. It's in immaculate condition, absolutely spotless, and I definitely believe it when he said he only fired a few dozen rounds to get the scope zeroed when he first got it.

Well I got back home with it yesterday and the scope was a little off, so I worked on zeroing it back in. My first impression was that the magazine is a little tricky. The first few times I thought it was completely pushed in, but I ended up having to push it up a little further and harder to actually get it to click in. It also doesn't come out as easily as I would have expected. This was the same for both magazines. The feeding was a little off too. I was using 40 grain Federal FMJ. For the most part they were fine with just a few jams throughout about 50 rounds. The few that gave me trouble I could just push the bolt a little harder and they would go in.

Today I fooled around with the gun again but was using a 30 grain CCI JSP. I had all kind of feeding issues with both mags. I kept trying one, then the other. One magazine would not allow me to even push the bolt into the chamber, even with a hard shove. They were either pointed too high or too low. I did finally find that with only 3 or 4, instead of the full 5, it would finally line up right. The other magazine would just send them shooting out every time, no matter how many I had in the magazine.

I really like this gun, but this is definitely an issue. Both magazines are original Savage products and are in just as good of shape as the gun. I was thinking about buying another one to try it out, but it may just do the same thing. Will the magazines eventually "break in" or do I need to tweak them some? I also didn't think about it until now, but the feeding issues were worse with a different ammo. I will probably try it out again with the different brands of ammo tomorrow to see if that is the issue. I just don't know if this is an issue with the magazine or the difference in ammo; or how to go about fixing it. Hopefully somebody else has ran into this and can chime in.

Admin
09-24-2012, 11:19 PM
The detachable magazines are the Achilles heel of the Savage rimfires. They're just a rather poor design and often require tweaking of the feed lips to get them to feed consistently and reliably. Fortunately it's fairly easy to do with a good set of needle nose pliers, and you just need to play with it until you find what works best for your gun.

sharpshooter
09-25-2012, 01:58 AM
One thing to try: loosen the screws that hold the magazine guide and wiggle things around a bit to align the magazine and latch then re-tighten.

thomae
09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Try this, or something similar, as a possible fix:
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?147-Mark-II-Weak-Magazine-Spring-Fix (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?147-Mark-II-Weak-Magazine-Spring-Fix)