PDA

View Full Version : Receiver misdrilled from factory

shovelheadave
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I bought a 12 FLV last year as a donor but kept it as a .204 for a while, I only swapped it into a converted Duramaxx (last year).

I noticed that the front action screw didn't line up real well but, figured it was the stock.

I recently pulled the barrel off and put on a factory SS varmint and a machined recoil lug.......it wouldn't fit back into the stock....I was still thinking it was the stock. With the thicker lug it didn't fit the tupperware properly; the barrel contacts the right side of the stock down toward the fore end.

I have another 12 FLV action with the same set up......factory SS varmint barrel and same recoil lug. It's in a factory VLP stock, it's perfectly centered.

I pulled that out and put the "problem" action in, same thing. It sides hard to the right in that stock too.

Has anyone seen a receiver misdrilled (action screws) from the factory ?? If so.....how do i fix it ??

jhelmuth
09-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Send it back to Savage for a replacement....

stangfish
09-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Have you put some putty in the lug area to see if the new lug is hitting something?

smax
09-24-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?17879-Action-screw-alignment-to-action

Sadly seems to be a common occurance with Savage.

shovelheadave
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Have you put some putty in the lug area to see if the new lug is hitting something?

I had this issue before I took the factory barrel off, I thought it was the Duramaxx that was off.

I was thinking that the new lug might be binding it up, it's not.

Putting the factory lug back on and putting it back in the original tupperware. If you turn it over you can see that the back action screw lines up but the front screw is off.

shovelheadave
09-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Send it back to Savage for a replacement....

Savage warranty is only to the original owner :(

MZ5
09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Savage warranty is only to the original owner :(

And only for a year, and only if you send proof of purchase in with it, even to that first purchaser...
Though I do own more than one Savage, I surely, SURELY appreciate the forever support I get from Ruger and Browning. 'Warranties' like those from Savage might just as well be the 30 - 90 days we get from electronics companies. If you notice something HORRIBLE right out of the box, you're probably covered. Don't find it right away? Well, you'll probably just go buy another...

tomme boy
09-26-2012, 12:00 AM
In before someone says that they can not be mis drilled, an it is the heat treat that warps the action. That is the so called reason that someone here is going to say.

jonbearman
09-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Savage warranty is to the original owner but this is considered a safety issue because if you went to court and said you fired it and the bolts pulled out do to draw tapping. I dont think they would hessitate to replace the reciever.