PDA

View Full Version : having a hard time finding the exact barrel i want in a prefit...

GSRswapandslow
09-24-2012, 12:37 PM
so..i'm building a point-blank gun to use for buddy matches...and am having a hard time finding the barrel i want:
6mmbr setup for 62-68gr
1:14 twist
Max Heavy Varmint profile (1.120 for 5" then straight taper to ~.9)
setup for 22"

it seems like the vast majority of 6br prefits are setup for 1:8 twist...which does me NO good. If i can't get the prefit how I want...it kind of defeats the purpose of spending the extra time-effort into building off of a savage target action....in which case I'll just get a blank and throw it on a decent action...just wanting to mitigate some of the cost for a buddy match gun

anyone have a suggestion?

Admin
09-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Pre-fits are made and offered in a limited number of certain configurations as those are what's the most popular and will sell in decent numbers to make it worth the barrel maker or retailers while, and presently that's predominantly fast-twist long range barrels catering to the long-range competition and hunting crowd. For that matter, if you don't see the Savage as a "decent" action to start with then why bother with one in the first place?

GSRswapandslow
09-24-2012, 01:09 PM
price, they're cheap actions. I wasn't saying they were junk, but you and I both know that they're not a Bat...i have an LRP 260 in a mcrees...and I really do enjoy the rifle, I like the action much better than my last rem (my ONLY rem at this point...have finally liquidated them all!) which is why i had planned on a RBLP target action off buds. it's just more work to find a decent stock for them, but i'm going down to bill shehane's place and gonna have one of his ST-BR's inletted for it.

i agree on the fast twist thing....there's a lot more dreamers than shooters in the market these days...the same guys that keep the zombie craze afloat. But I was HOPING there would be a prefit in the twist and contour I need

nsaqam
09-24-2012, 03:40 PM
4-d products will sell you a prefit in any chamber, twist and contour you want.

GSRswapandslow
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
4-d products will sell you a prefit in any chamber, twist and contour you want.

that was one of the first places I went since they let you choose your contour...but they don't list anything but up to 1:10 for 6mm....they have a 1:12 on hand in a blank...so maybe they'll do one in 1:14 for me... do you know what blanks they use for their barrels?

GSRswapandslow
09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
nevermind...i see they use CBI now... not my first choice, but if they'll do 1:14 I'll most likely use them.

thanks for bringing them back up or I'd not have bothered to check back!!

MikeCTX
09-24-2012, 05:39 PM
look at a Shilen barrel, shoud be able to have a 12 or 14 made. Contact Jim at NSS and he will set you up with a Savage pre-fit..of course if you do not care for Shilen then that is different - lol. The wait can be long but worth a try.

GSRswapandslow
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Shilens fine, just wish bartlein made prefits lol

I'm gonna try 4d first, seems like people are doing fine with cbi and all I need is consistent .2's and .3's at 100

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

82boy
09-24-2012, 10:48 PM
I have been talking to Jim Briggs about having Criterion offer a 1 in 14 twist 6mm, and last I knew they was in progress, and should be starting production soon.
Shilen offers a 1 in14 twist barrel, and a few dozen diferent reamers.
Sharp Shooter Supply can get and chamber you a barrel from either brux, or Douglas in 1 in 14.

Shilens fine, just wish bartlein made prefits lol

Bartlein is a good barrel, but in my opinion they dont hold a candel to a brux. I shoot Brux in NBRSA competition and it does well. Shilen barrels are nothing to sneeze at, I have seen a few that was super competitive. My experince with Criterion has been great, I have a 1 in 8 twist that shoots lights out, and it is what I am going to take when I shot the IBS 600 yard Nationals.

GSRswapandslow
09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Never had a brux...i'll look into them as well. i tried getting on SSS...but the sites been down

va78
10-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Rock creek can make you what you want.. cut rifled.or button pulled. They do very good job chambering

nsaqam
10-10-2012, 09:03 PM
The mass marketers of prefits sell what the mass market demands just as pointed out by Admin.

The true custom barrel companies will make you a true custom barrel.

I'd call Mike Rock just like VA78 said.

va78
10-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Most people cannot afford a Bat action.... Bat's are sweet but that action as nothing to do with accuracy.. Yah I nice tight action feel's good and has good lock up. But a properly trued up remington or savage will get the same exact job done as a Bat, or any other high end action..The Mechanics are the same but not the tolerances. Bat's are popular but not the best by any means it's just a Chevy Ford Dodge thing. In most cases a good and willing smith can take what you have and provide you with an absolute laser as long as you do your job behind the trigger and your optics and wind reading skills are up to the task.. If all you have is a savage action then that is good enough to build a sweet rig with. The savage target actions are pretty nice, they are much stiffer and more rigid than the other action's savage uses. I use Surgeon action's but I used to use savage action's with great success. The floating bolthead is somewhat of an advantage over the Rem action, although many would argue that point.........Anyways use what you have, call up a good smith and if his heart is into it he will deliver you a weapon that will serve you well. Ive said this before on this forum, It's all about quailty smithing, range time, trigger control, and consistent repeatability and last good glass.. That's it, if you argue that point then your uninformed or just plain stubborn.

va78
10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
GSRswapandslow......Bartlein doesn't need to make prefit's.. They have a massive following and there is no need financially for them to make that move...It would create a massive workload and I'm sure that would compromise there quality and any good barrel maker wont give that up.... Now I'm stepping on my own foot by saying that Because Rock Creek are VERY good barrels and they now offer some prefits.......