PDA

View Full Version : Savage 25

LCPor9mm
12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Took my new model 25 to the range for it's first outing and the bolt won't close half of the time. I only got off 50 shots using Remmington UMC before it was time to go. I have some better ammo in the mail but should I be having this problem? My fear is the chamber is too tight and I'll have to send it back to Savage. Any thoughts? ???

GaCop
12-25-2009, 06:52 AM
No, you shoudn't be having that problem with a new rifle. Check the chamber closely to see if any packing grease or debris is in the chamber. You didn't say what caliber but, if you have a GO head space gauge you could check the chamber. If all else fails, looks like a trip back to Savage.

oldguy
12-25-2009, 12:06 PM
The lock up on the 25 is slightly different then my model 12, the 25 requires more forward pressure then down to lock,once fired the bolt pulls up hard however it does ease with use, I used the umc ammo when sighting in without problems,accuracy has been excellent with hand loads.

LCPor9mm
12-27-2009, 04:28 PM
It's the Model 25 in .223. I shot five different flavors of factory ammo through it on Saturday and the bolt failed to close about 10-20% of the time AND I had two rounds fail to fire. WTF!

oldguy
12-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Not good, I have the 223 also it shoots excellent,sounds like a bolt problem,check your bolt serial number against the gun see if same, if ok call Savage and tell them the problem,they are excellent to work with, I would not fire it any more until I determine problem.

pchunterpa
12-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Mine does the same thing with pulling up hard and three misfires, but that might have been because the cheap ammo I was using.

oldguy
12-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Mine does the same thing with pulling up hard and three misfires, but that might have been because the cheap ammo I was using.

The pulling up hard is in the design I believe although mine is much easier after couple hundred rounds however I've had no misfires, I would be very concerned about difficulty in closing bolt.

LCPor9mm
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I checked the bolt and it matches the gun. There is nothing noticeably odd with the Bolt or the lockup area, however it is hard to see inside the receiver even with a flashlight. I was going to polish the receiver and chamber, but I think I am just going to send it back to Savage because I feel like I am forcing it at least a little. Too bad, it's my first bolt gun and I love the way it feels. Guess I'll put the scope on my 10/22 until I get it back. :(
What do you guys use to clean the receivers with? I can't seem to get all the shavings out with my usual patches, sticks, etc. This rifle is leaving a pretty good amount of brass in the bolt area too.

durango
12-27-2009, 07:01 PM
SHAVINGS?? BRASS IN THE BOLT AREA?? Put that thing back in the box and take it back to the dealer--get a replacemnet--let him work it out with Savage. There's no reason for you to be without your rifle and also get stuck with the shipping charges. Nothing against the dealer or Savage--stuff happens--but you shouldn't be the loser here. Steve

LCPor9mm
12-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I would do that in a minute....except I bought it on-line at Bud's, so I'm sending it somewhere, it might as well be Savage. I just hope they are faster than S&W with their turn around time. You know come to think of it I didn't look at their warranty, maybe THEY will send me a new gun.....................yeah right, well I'll contact them anyway just so they know.

pchunterpa
12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
but what could be causing the misfire?

Woodser
12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
I would do that in a minute....except I bought it on-line at Bud's
Yet another reason not to buy online. In-your-face is much better when there is a problem.

dolomite_supafly
12-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I would do that in a minute....except I bought it on-line at Bud's
Yet another reason not to buy online. In-your-face is much better when there is a problem.

Unless it is a mom and pop most stores will not offer a replacement. As a matter of fact most stores, including mom and pops will just take it in and send it off to Savage.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything online because the same rifle could have came from the shelves of WM just as easily. No WM in the nation offers a return on firearms and rightly so. There are too many people out there who try to modify their guns then ruin them, blaming everyone but themselves. (not directed at the OP)

For the OP:
If there is a problem Savage will take care of it. It definitely sounds like there is a problem. I would try using some type of foaming cleaner to get the action as clean as I could. Then use compressed air to get out anything else. Make sure the chamber is clean of debris because it sounds like there may be some shavings in there, it doesn't take much to change the headspace.

Dolomite

Woodser
12-28-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't buy guns from WM, either. I will pay a few bucks more to buy from someone I can get up close and personal with when there is a problem.

You can buy online and more power to you. I have been there, and been stung by that more than once. Some online sellers are top notch and will hop to it when there is a problem. Others will run you around in circles and there will never be a resolution to your complaint, even with the BBB and other agencies involved. I have given up on the online sales world, at least for large ticket items. And, unless I did business with them before they went online.

LCPor9mm
12-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I called Savage today probably ten times and never got to talk to anybody about sending the rifle back...no one answered the phone. :(

rjtfroggy
12-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Probably closed for the Holidays. they closed for long weekend over thanksgiving.

Woodser
12-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Try again on Jan 3 or 4.

LCPor9mm
12-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Yeah this isn't the best time of the year to be in a hurry, those people probably need a break.