PDA

View Full Version : Older Redfield made in USA

WestPat
09-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Hello,
My LGS has an older Redfield 3-9x40 that seems to be in excellent shape. It has gold writing by the adjustment knobs that say Redfield 3x9
and on the ocular bell it says made in the USA. The guy at the store said hought it was from the late 70's and is asking $60 for it. Would that be in the
Time frame for the made in Colorado scopes. It is a glossy black metal. The glass is really clear and the focus and power rings work fine. I would be getting this for an older Savage .270. With this scope I would be into the package for 300$.
Is this a good price for the scope?
Do the.older Redfields have a warranty of .any kind on them still, like some others like Leupold.
Thanks.for.your time,
David

Grit #1
09-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Redfield went out of business a while back and Leupold picked up the brand name a couple years ago. I would ask them if they warrant the old scopes. As for value, in cash, it is only worth $100 MAX!!. You can buy brand new leupold 3x9 for 150 to 175.
Best regards,
Grit

BobT
09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
It is a U.S. made Redfield and that time frame could certainly be correct. There is no longer any warranty since the original Redfield company went out of business. Ther were pretty good scopes IMHO and I think $60.00 is a fair price for it if it is in good shape. Sounds like a decent package price to me if the rifle is in good shape too.

Bob

JCalhoun
10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
If you are serious about the scope you need to take it outdoors and see if it is dark or fuzzy and well it will focus. Then take to to the range and do a box check.

Those old Redfields were pretty tough but it may not zero.

If you NEED a scope I would buy something new, but if you just want it for the cool factor and can drop $60 for a scope that may not work, I'd go for it.

WestPat
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM
I bought the scope today. I got it for my daughter's .22. I wanted something that was known to be reliable for the least amount as possible.
Outside the scope is nice and bright and has excellent resolution in the 50-75 yard range. Good eye relief through all power with it mounted on the rifle. I will zero it tomorrow and see if I really did get the deal I was hoping for.
David

WestPat
10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Took a few days to zero but boy is it a good little scope. We were shooting effectively even 30 minutes after sunset.
I know this reccomendation doesn't mean much except to say some of the older USA or Japanese made scopes are a good alternative at a lower price. At least for a centerfire rifle so it doesn't break the bank!
David

WestPat
10-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Let me rephrase.
Took a.few days before I had a chance to zero. Found zero in about 10 shots.