PDA

View Full Version : 10FCM Scout rifle Detachable magazine to internal magazine.

kehighfield60
12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I have an older savage 10FCM scout rifle that has the older style DBM with the side button drop. I was wondering if there was any way to change this to a internal box style so I can change the stock on it. I'm looking to build on this action and I wanted to put a tactical stock. Thanks for any Input.

Ken

sharpshooter
12-23-2009, 07:12 PM
You just need a blind magazine and follower. Remove the DBM housing and replace with the blind version.

kehighfield60
12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks I was hoping it wasn't going to be some kind of machine work. As far as I know there aren't any aftermarket stocks out there for these with the side button mag drop out there. And I'm thinking of going heavy barrel on my build and I want a better stock. Thanks for the help.

Ken

handirifle
12-24-2009, 12:22 AM
I will buy the DBM parts if you want to part with them.

kehighfield60
12-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm probably going to keep them. But Ill keep you in mind when I do this and decide to get rid of the extra parts.

Ken

handirifle
12-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Please do. Keep all the parts including the button and recessed shroud from the stock (maybe the stock too) and let me know when you decide. Thanks

Boog
01-09-2010, 09:50 PM
My Scout kept dropping the magazine out with every other shot so I swapped out the stock, magazine box and follower from a spare set I had laying around. Works great and was fairly easy. Boog

kehighfield60
01-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I have never had a problem with the mag dropping out on me. I did back when I bought it had the magazine get stuck . At 12 years old I with my stepdad took it to a gunsmith and he had to get it out somehow. I just no longer use it and am wanting to build something out of it. I havent been able to find any aftermarket stocks that fit the detachable box magazine with that style.

Brittus
02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I bought one of the AccuTrigger 10FCMs (.308 only of course then) when Savage started making the scout rifles again.

I love the gun. However I have the flush-mount factory magazine drop out of the bottom of the gun almost every time I fire the gun. Luckily when hunting it has not mattered as this is a 1-shot kill rifle. Savage customer service sent me a new metal-box and told me to go crazy bending the retention tab, which I had already done.

What gives? It's frustrating to think such a fine gun manufacturer has what seems to be the sh*ttiest stamped-metal magazine construction I've seen this side of a Tawianese wind-up kiddy toy from the 1960s, and it's embarassing when anyone sees it at the range when I am trying to help represent this gun!

Will any aftermarket Savage short-action stock work? What parts would I need to make this a captive/well-style magazine?

thanks for listening to a Noob!

Brittus

surfj9009
03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
You just need a blind magazine and follower. Remove the DBM housing and replace with the blind version.
Where is the best place to find these parts for a long action?
I'm in the same boat here with my new-to-me '06.

Along the same lines, what parts do I need if I want to switch to a hinged floorplate model, and a source for those?

This is my first bolt action, and so I am not sure what I prefer yet, but I hate the synthetic stock. I'm in desperate need of getting some wood on this thing.

Im thinking I should just go with a blind, since I heard so many people have problems with the hinged.

Also, sorry to revive the old thread but I've been searching the web for a while and this thread seems to come the closest to discussing my issue.