PDA

View Full Version : How to lube the bolt head lugs?

scoeri
09-22-2012, 07:08 PM
working on my new short target action. i apply lube to the bolt head lugs to help prevent galling, but the front baffle fits snug enough to wipe all the grease off when the baffle is rotated to reassemble. do you guys have any tips for lubing the lugs?
thanks, scott

Blue Avenger
09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
put the washer in between the lugs & baffle

efm77
09-22-2012, 07:23 PM
+1 to what Blue Avenger said.

scoeri
09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
thank you blue avenger & efm77 for that tip. it worked well for me. just got done headspacing the new action to a new shilen .222 rem. still waiting on a stock from SSS.
scott

wahoowad
09-23-2012, 09:34 AM
put the washer in between the lugs & baffle

What washer? Mine is tight too but did not come with a washer.

efm77
09-23-2012, 09:56 AM
There should be a spring washer between the bolt body and the front baffle.

Blue Avenger
09-23-2012, 11:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/gunsmith/boltface_zpsd330a7e0.jpg

BillPa
09-23-2012, 12:28 PM
One consideration when relocating the spring washer. If you look closely you'll see a small fillet(radius) at the junction of the bolthead shaft and lugs. Most times the bore of the washer is a close fit on the shaft, but smaller then the fillet causing additional drag closing and opening the bolt if the washer is simply relocated.

You may need to open the washer bore "Slightly", just enough so it seats against the lug surface but without any slop. Open it too much the washer will drop down and can hang up on the edge of the abutment recess when opening the bolt. ( Now, how would I know that little tidbit ? :eek:)

Also, before lubricating the lugs I also highly suggest cleaning the lug recesses and abutments. It make no sense to lubricate the lugs and the crud both! Sinclair Int. has action cleaning tools.

And while you have the grease in hand wet the surface of the primary extraction cam and cocking ramp, two other high friction areas.

Bill