PDA

View Full Version : CBI barrels how to identify a fake

chesty for president
09-21-2012, 08:11 PM
I purchased a barrel from a forum member for a brand new Criterion Prefit Barrel. Ive owned at least 20 of these barrels total. Every Single Criterion Barrel Ive ever purchased and I checked the six I have in my barracks room they all have -CBI- on the by the barrel nut or close anyways. The barrel I received has only the caliber on it and it is length wise on the barrel instead of sideways like a band. Maybe and Im hoping Im wrong the barrel will be shipped to Jim for confirmation and at this point ill be in it for the cost of a brand new one directly from him. any advice or expertise would be awesome.

Very Respectfully Submitted

Semper Fidelis

Blue Avenger
09-21-2012, 08:46 PM
was the original purchased as a blank? may not be marked

chesty for president
09-21-2012, 08:49 PM
The person I bought it from said it was a Criterion Prefit Sir.

chesty for president
09-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Its just odd as the writing/stamping/etching on the newbarrel doesnt resemble any of the other I have in my possession

devildogandboy
09-21-2012, 09:45 PM
keep us informed one way or the other, myself i feel comfortable dealing with the people on this forum and take them at their word. people should be alerted if there is someone here misadvertising their products. hope you're wrong and it's a mistake!

pdog06
09-21-2012, 10:17 PM
post a picture of the writing.

Is it only stamped once? The older Mcgowens were stamped lengthwise with the caliber(and twist in parenthesis)

chesty for president
09-22-2012, 04:43 AM
If I post a pic of the writing I think that'll give it away to easily of who it is Sir I very much apologize. Crappy thing also I have to fly out this morning so I wont be able to deal with this for a while Im gonna leave this info with one of my Marines and have him mail it back or anything I cant do over the Forum. There is only the caliber length ways no twist no nothing. He may have been sold the barrel and didnt have a clue about it you never know. I was thinking maybe its one of theyre very first pre fits but I have been buying these even way before the price change and still have never seen one like this

Very Respectfully Submitted

chesty for president
09-22-2012, 09:20 AM
The person I bought the barrel from has a low amount of posts but is a paid member just my opinion I think he was just mistaken or something.

82boy
09-22-2012, 09:47 AM
The only person that coould tell you if it is a criterion is Jim Briggs, as he is the only distribitor of their Savage prefits, and to my knowledge they do not sell blanks yet. I have one of the first Criterion barrel made, and it is marked like the ones you have desribed.

chesty for president
09-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I contacted the gentleman that sold it to me and he was extremely nice ill say that. He said he purchased the barrel from 4D reamers. He assured me that he purchased the barrel and it began life as a criterion? I don't know what the hell to believe. I'll call 4D and see what they say but the only way ill know without question its a criterion is if that is the ONLY blanks they use to make savage prefits. I'm open to any ideas here yall if I can't prove its not a criterion how can I really ask for my money back ya know.....ill sell it for a big loss and lick my wounds....

Very respectfully sent

nsaqam
09-22-2012, 12:39 PM
It's a Criterion.

Check out the link right under the "There are five (5) steps....."

http://www.4-dproducts.com/savage.php

chesty for president
09-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I called Jim at northlanders and he said yes its a criterion blank but it is not a criterion barrel.....if I buy a shilen blank and ream it with a tap wrench in my barracks room can I sell shilen match barrels as such......if so I'm about to make a lot of money. It's not a cbi barrel its a cbi blank done by 4d reamers so is the quality and finish 100% as good or better than a true cbi barrel.

scope eye
09-22-2012, 05:32 PM
double post

chesty for president
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
What if that block was castededed at the roush garage......the gentleman made good on the barrel he's a very nice guy and we worked it out......nothing was done with any intention of foul play......he's a good seller

scope eye
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Buying a blank does not criterion make
buying a bare engine block does not make it a Roush cup engine.
what your paying for is the years of experience and trade secrets

chesty for president
09-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey scope eye I haves me some shilen barrels fresh still hot I mean really hot cuz I didn't use lube or coolant when I made them what caliber do u want I gettem all except this lousy 6mm/06 crap I read about.....all others even to include future calibers just let me know man

nsaqam
09-22-2012, 10:48 PM
I'd much prefer a top quality blank reamed and threaded with care by a competent gunsmith than any prefit made on an assembly line basis. Not only does a guy get to spec his chamber and throat but one specific gunsmith stakes his reputation on each barrel he reams.
Assembly line prefits are a compromise I'd rather not make.

trailrider121
09-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Just a heads up, Criterion does not offer 300 WSM chambering, nor will they make a small shank SAUM or WSM chambering barrel.