PDA

View Full Version : First Bedding Job Underway

lwink
12-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Well, since I had to do a bunch of work to make my first build "'better", I decided that I might as well give a shot at bedding. Now this is just in a double V block stock, so I am not even convinced that bedding was necessary, but hopefully if I did things right it won't hurt. Just like in the article on 6mmBR I taped the barrel and tang to "hang" the action over the blocks. spent a lot of time and I think I got it right where I wanted it, just the smallest amount off the blocks to turn the v's into nice full u's that match my action. I didn't do anything with the recoil lug, as it fit so tight against the block I couldn't get any bedding compound in there without pulling the whole thing forward and off the screw holes. Do you guys have any advice on that? I also didn't want to bed in front of it at this time as I haven't done enough pro and con weighing to do that. Anyways, I hope the release agent and clay were ample enough and everywhere they were supposed to be, I'll find out in the morning! I also have a fishing rod with the final coat of epoxy turning tonight -- hopefully tomorrow I'll have a nice new custom St. Croix rod and perfectly bedded 308! Couldn't have done it without all the great info on here...

Skunce
12-23-2009, 01:48 AM
I'm going to be bedding a Medalist stock soon and I plan to cut the bedding block back so I'll end up with 100% contact with the recoil lug on the back side. My action screw holes don't line up very accurately either. The action needs to be moved about a 1/16" to the rear to center the stock holes with the action, which is another reason I'm going to remove some of the lug. I'm going to use countersunk head screws to center the action with the screw holes.
Another thing I discovered when I installed a one piece scope mount is that the top of the action tapers off at the front and the rear. So I epoxy bedded the mount to the top of the action using only the center two screws to snug it down until the epoxy cured.