PDA

View Full Version : Idea for stock finishing... what do you think?

lwink
12-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Well, in about 4 months I should be receiving my stockade stock, and already I have started to think about how I want to finish it (moneysaver). At wal-mart today I noticed that they have most of what I need as far as filler, auto primer, paint, etc. -- then I saw it. They sell a rubberized truck bed liner in an aerosol can for pretty cheap. What would you guys think (or has anybody done this already) about spraying a good chunk of the forearm and the grip area of my elk stalker stock with this either just before or just after priming? I think it would be a good effect and could be quite useful in the field too? What do you think?

Apache
12-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Krylon Fusion in camo colors is what I use when painting..........if you do it, let us know how it goes.

cowboyarcher
12-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Works good Luke, just not as think as you might expect. I've run 2 layer before and it's under and 1/8" thick. It does pretty good, though paint does not adhere super great to it. I like it though on my stocks. I do the whole stocks.

jpdown
12-23-2009, 01:32 AM
You're going to love that Stockade stock when finished. You might want to search "stock texture" on this site. Some excellent "how to" information from those who have finished their money saver's in the past. I would think sanding, filling and priming the stock would be very important first steps. With the availability of textured paints, your got a lot of possible choices that might be easier to work with than bed liner. LOL.

lwink
12-23-2009, 02:14 AM
With the availability of textured paints, your got a lot of possible choices that might be easier to work with than bed liner. LOL.

Probably so, I'm going to work with some of the webs/speckled textured pains on my current gun, but the appeal of the bedliner comes with the potential grippiness and "soft" feel. Still a long ways off, and we will see about he finishing, but I am definitely excited about the stockade!!

pdog06
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Luke, if you have a factory synthetic stock lying around try the bedliner stuff on that first to see if you like it. It'll save you alot of time if you dont.

dolomite_supafly
12-23-2009, 08:43 AM
I didn't use the spray on but I did do a stock with the roll on kit. It is durable and the texture is definitely rough enough to not slip. It is almost painful when shooting it because the texture seems a bit sharp. I guess I could sand it a little smoother. Mine turned out as somewhat glossy and I haven't painted it.

Dolomite