PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 .270

WestPat
09-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Hello guys it has been a while. I have found what I think to be another good older savage buy. Older flat top 111 .270 caliber, the serial number is F002934. Has a Tasco 3-9x40. Has a wide view objective, and says made in Taiwan. The total asking price is 239$, and the only flaw I see is the bolt release. It has good tension and functions well but it has side to side play. Can that be fixed?
Just hoping for everyone's thoughts. Already have 06 and .308, and just wanted to add a .270 as a good little truck gun.
I know the cases are the same as the 06, but does the .270 kick less? I don't know how Frank in FL shoots his 06 marathon sessions!
You know my concerns so any and all thoughts welcome.
David

stangfish
09-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Yes it can be fixed, Money fixes everything. Yes a 130 grain bullet kicks less with the slower burning powder than a 150-180 bullet burning faster powder. Frank is a very small man and his body doesn't absorb the recoil. He just whips around after the shot like a featherweight prize fighter.

acemisser
09-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes it can be fixed, Money fixes everything. Yes a 130 grain bullet kicks less with the slower burning powder than a 150-180 bullet burning faster powder. Frank is a very small man and his body doesn't absorb the recoil. He just whips around after the shot like a featherweight prize fighter.

Good answer..lol

mattm0812
09-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Our savages are almost identical. Except mine is a 110

WestPat
09-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Wonderful insight. Very succinct and to the point. I weigh 230 so I guess I will just get beat to death.
Did not know I had signed up for the lightning round answers, but it does cover my concerns.
David

AVanGorder
09-21-2012, 11:38 AM
...asking price is 239$, ... but it has side to side play....
David
$239 is a great price. I would buy it in a second.
The side to side play sounds like the main bold holding the entire bolt together is loose. This happens on one of mine quite often. Not a big deal at all, just tighten it up.

Adrian

fgw_in_fla
09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
SMALL MAN?!?!?! This old 195lb butt is anything BUT small. I'm just a wimp when recoil from an '06 slams into a shoulder that had surgery 7 months ago.... So sue me.

So WestPat..... Disregarding the rude, snide remark from mr. SLangdish, that's a real good price in fact it almost sounds like the pawn shop rescue I bought last year. Same thing only different. It's a .270 package with a Simmons make believe scope. I replaced the barrel on an '06 with a .270 recently. They seem to do very well with 130gr SST's or Nosler BT's & they seem to like a steady diet of H4831 as well. It's a real flat shooter. Mine has the same POI zero for 50 & 100yds. At 200yds it's about 1.5 inches lower. The recoil is less than the '06 & slightly more than my 7mm-08. If you're a hunter, it's good for most anything you'll hunt in N. America, exclusive of thick hides I believe.

And remember, it's a Savage. Don't like the caliber? Change the barrel to something you do like. You say it needs a little work? there's your bargaining chip to help get it cheaper..
Good luck with your new .270..... You'll love the accuracy of the caliber.

Frank in Fla

JackinSD
09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Frank,

For all we know we are both small men compared to stangfish. He might be 6'5" and 400 lbs. That would make my 6'1", 225lbs look small. LOL.

thomae
09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
SMALL MAN?!?!?! This old 195lb butt is anything BUT small.
Hey, just because you have a big butt is nothing to get upset about! :amen: After all, it provides a more stable platform!

By the way, if Bob Fortier comes down to visit you, I'll do my best to try and sidetrack him in order to get him to stop in and see me for a few days (weeks?). I'm right on the way. For the price of a rifle stock, I'll treat him right and even serve him some good food. Heck, I'll even let him use the indoor plumbing!

WestPat
09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks Frank!
Guys don't be to hard on Stangfish. His user name embraces two of my other hobbies, Mustangs and saltwater fish, so he's okay with me.
I have really enjoyed the "cheap" 06 savage I got for about the same price earlier this year, and except for the loose bolt release the 270 is in about the same shape. What the gun store considers an ugly old rifle I consider a good deal with lots of potential.
I just like to check with people that have more experience than I before I make a purchase.
Thanks for the advice!
David

mattm0812
09-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Haha, Frank ain't that small. I'm 6'2 240 and he's probably about 5'9-10 if I had to guess.

fgw_in_fla
09-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Ya know David, even if the pawn shop shows it to me in pieces, I still buy them. One man's poison.... as the saying goes.

And thomae.... If Bob ends up here on the east coast near KSC, he won't be allowed to leave. You've heard of slave labor? Child labor laws? When we get done with him, the Fla. legislature will have to pass a new law protecting guys from Canada lured to Fla. under the guise of "Stocks for Vacation".....We ain't gonna let him go that easy....

Dontcha just hate it when someone can do something like build a rifle stock from a few scraps of wood & make it look better that ANYTHING you can buy?.... My best woodworking is when I chop logs into small chunks of wood for the smoker.....

Frank in FLa

rjtfroggy
09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Frank not to hi-jack BUTTT if he comes have him teach you how to do it instead of doing it for you. That way you can "play it forward" to the rest of the brother hood without those **** import laws.