PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24: New Savage 24V-A owner

911clutch
09-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Hello,
I just joined the group and was prompted to do so with the purchase yesterday of a mint 24V-A. I have been looking for one of these guns for some time as I wanted the older version. It appears to have been a closet queen and after cleaning it up I found no rust and little wear to metal or wood. I am curious as to when it was made and the serial is 217XX.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but after reading up on the models I would not expect any issues other than maybe light pin strikes and a less than desirable trigger, both being corrected without a lot of drama as I recall.

I am curious about the amount of spring tension the extractor pin is exerting on the .222 case. It is leaving some nasty scratches on the case wall. Before I adjust, is there a set height for the pin in relation to the extractor body?

I am curious about how much freeplay should there be in the extractor with the breech opened. This one has about .250" or so. Was wondering if the spring could have taken a 'compressed' set.

I can't identify the choke and thought maybe they only came in one choke, but don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance for any information you guys may have.

44 Man
10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
911clutch, I was just reading here as I'm interested in picking up a 24 although I'm not an owner or expert yet. But knowing what I do about guns in general, I think you have little to worry about. As for the case scratches, a little polishing on the extractor so there are no sharp edges where it contacts the case should take care of that. And if it has that much free play, I would also say you are correct and the spring has taken a set. Either put a BB under it, or replace it with a generic spring the proper size and length. Good luck with your 24, sounds like you have a beauty! I'm hoping to find a 30-30/20 gauge. 44 Man