PDA

View Full Version : reloading the .300 win mag

MSW
09-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Been poking around here for a while and have decided to start a rifle build and learn to develop loads in the process. Just getting started and was wondering what tips yall had. My plan is to start as a very adequate rifle and load for deer and then move to longer distances in the spring. The rifle is a factory 111 barrelled action with a B&C Medalist sporter on the way. I have a LOT of once fired brass and a RCBS press. What dies? Neck sizing vs. FL? I have been very happy with 130 Hornady SST for my .270, any comments on 150-180 SST for .300? Any help is greatly appreciated and I'll be happy to provide any other info needed.

nubrun
09-19-2012, 11:40 PM
I am by no means an expert, but I have gathered the following as I prepare to load for 6.5x47:

1) The Forster dies seem to be a good balance between precision and cost, and I recently purchased a forster seating die, neck bushing bump die, and redding body die
2) Neck sizing vs FL sizing: There is a lot of discussion on this topic in regards to brass life, but I went the route of neck sizing and shoulder bumping every time, and then every 3-4th firing using the body die as well ( there will come a time when after so many neck and shoulder bumpings that the case might not fit well into the chamber)
3) if you haven't done so already get a reloading manual to determine min/max loads for the 300 wm

That's all I got for now, like I said I am by no means an expert.

darkker
09-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Buy several manuals, and READ them cover to cover EXCEPT the load data.
Then when you are done, start loading.

The SST series of bullets open extremely quickly at 308 speeds. @ WM speeds, you will destroy a ton of meat; especially with the 150 class weights.

I personally like Lee dies. They are a better design IMO and don't require a second mortgage. For the Belted cases, I had Vastly better life and groups when neck sizing. Sizing off the belt never gave me good results.

nova1194
09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Neck sizing will give you better accuracy and case life, but both my 7 RM and my 300 WM have feeding issues unless cases are fl sized.

Mike