PDA

View Full Version : Axis Fugliest rifle I've ever loved!

Pages : 1 [2]

fgw_in_fla
09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Hey thomae - that is a real pregnant idea. I think I'll have a closer look at that.
By filling all the voids in under the trigger guard & then gluing the guard itself to the stock gives it considerable strength & mass BUT....... lo & behold, it's still a piece of plastic. I appreciate your input. These Axis / Edge rifles have become more of an obsession that reloading.... for now. I like the feel & the lines in fact, I have had guys at the range come up & take a closer look trying to figure out what it is. Many of them compliment it on how cool it looks. They don't know they're looking at a $225 rifle & they really can't believe how it shoots.

It's sleek & slightly smaller than a regular stock & if it can be made tight & strong, it works very well. I'm sure you've had a look at some of the target pics I've put up here. It will shoot tight as long as it's firmed up. It's terribly difficult to hit your mark when the rifle wiggles....

Thanks again for the idea & don't keep them to yourself. Feel free to blurt them put when they come to ya....!

Frank in Fla

thermaler
09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey thomae - that is a real pregnant idea. I think I'll have a closer look at that.
By filling all the voids in under the trigger guard & then gluing the guard itself to the stock gives it considerable strength & mass BUT....... lo & behold, it's still a piece of plastic. I appreciate your input. These Axis / Edge rifles have become more of an obsession that reloading.... for now. I like the feel & the lines in fact, I have had guys at the range come up & take a closer look trying to figure out what it is. Many of them compliment it on how cool it looks. They don't know they're looking at a $225 rifle & they really can't believe how it shoots.

It's sleek & slightly smaller than a regular stock & if it can be made tight & strong, it works very well. I'm sure you've had a look at some of the target pics I've put up here. It will shoot tight as long as it's firmed up. It's terribly difficult to hit your mark when the rifle wiggles....

Thanks again for the idea & don't keep them to yourself. Feel free to blurt them put when they come to ya....!

Frank in FlaThe real Achilles heal that still remains is all the void where the trigger comes through--those side walls just aren't thick enough, and even after all the stiffening up, if you put the rifle up on a bipod and press down on it with several pounds of force the stock will flex in exactly that area. Fortunately, the reinforcement is enough to keep the rifle steady for sighting and getting the shot off as long as your cheek weld doesn't impart a whole lot of force--so it's not worth further effort to me at this point. If only they used a bit of carbon-fiber like Tika--that would solve the problem most likely.

Tempest
09-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Do this.....

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708project002.jpg

Then this...

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708project009.jpg

After that, a little of this...

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708project015.jpg

And, in order to make sure accuracy is not bothered by the barrel....

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708project020.jpg

And you should be able to do this....

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708project024.jpg

Any questions?...

Frank in Fla

I did this last weekend and it was a 100X improvement to the feel of the stock. I used 1/4" steel rods instead. I like a heavy rifle anyway for target shooting.

Good tip, it works.

fgw_in_fla
09-26-2012, 06:49 PM
By the way - Admin put the article w/ pics on the home page. Another tid bit comes to mind. If you carefully remove the butt stock pad & put a little counterweight in there, it helps balance it, too.

After I put the fat black barrel on my 25.06. it nosedived / pivoted on the bipod. It needed a nice thick brass door hinge epoxied in the stock to counterweight it. Get creative. Remember - You're only limitation is your imagination...

Happy Edge rebuilding.

Frank in FLa

Elteyr
09-27-2012, 05:22 PM
By the way - Admin put the article w/ pics on the home page. Another tid bit comes to mind. If you carefully remove the butt stock pad & put a little counterweight in there, it helps balance it, too.

After I put the fat black barrel on my 25.06. it nosedived / pivoted on the bipod. It needed a nice thick brass door hinge epoxied in the stock to counterweight it. Get creative. Remember - You're only limitation is your imagination...

Happy Edge rebuilding.

Frank in FLa

speaking of imagination, and thinking of other ideas, rather than removing the ribbing, do you think it would work as well if you left the ribbing and just drilled holes through them for the rods? I believe this could only help the reinforcement, and you'd use less epoxy, and if your barrel, like mine is already free floating completely the ribs would act as a good guide for where you need to sand! :D thoughts?

thomae
09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
speaking of imagination, and thinking of other ideas, rather than removing the ribbing, do you think it would work as well if you left the ribbing and just drilled holes through them for the rods? I believe this could only help the reinforcement, and you'd use less epoxy, and if your barrel, like mine is already free floating completely the ribs would act as a good guide for where you need to sand! :D thoughts?That's exactly what I did. I'll have either a detailed post or an article one of these days.

fgw_in_fla
09-27-2012, 06:46 PM
I tried drilling thru the ribs on an old 110 plastic stock I have & really saw no benefit to it. It took longer to do & it didn't provide any additional support or stiffness that I could see when compared to another stock i did the rib cutting way. If you think it can be of benefit I encourage it but keep this in mind.....

Throughtout the whole procedure, weather it's an Edge or a 110, I found it's still a plastic stock & no matter what you do to it, it'll only stiffen it up so much. After the 8th rifle I started looking at it from a "time spent to benefit reaped" ratio.

The info I posted is the easiest way I've come up with so far. Also, the weight factor weighs in. It depended on the rifle's use. Nobody wants to run thru the woods with 18lbs of rifle strapped to their butt....
If anyone does it the "thru rib" way, let me know the results if you have something to compare it to.

It's a econo-rifle. We are tinkerers.... We were made for each other.

Frank in FLa

Elteyr
09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I tried drilling thru the ribs on an old 110 plastic stock I have & really saw no benefit to it. It took longer to do & it didn't provide any additional support or stiffness that I could see when compared to another stock i did the rib cutting way. If you think it can be of benefit I encourage it but keep this in mind.....

Throughtout the whole procedure, weather it's an Edge or a 110, I found it's still a plastic stock & no matter what you do to it, it'll only stiffen it up so much. After the 8th rifle I started looking at it from a "time spent to benefit reaped" ratio.

The info I posted is the easiest way I've come up with so far. Also, the weight factor weighs in. It depended on the rifle's use. Nobody wants to run thru the woods with 18lbs of rifle strapped to their butt....
If anyone does it the "thru rib" way, let me know the results if you have something to compare it to.

It's a econo-rifle. We are tinkerers.... We were made for each other.

Frank in FLa

So lastnight, I went to Home Depot and picked up the epoxy and they rod for my axis. To be honest, I was pretty nervous when I put the screw driver to my rifle, this is the first rifle i've owned since I was in the army, and although its an econo-rifle, I don't have money to replace it. However when I took off those two screws on the bottom and it simply came apart into those simple pieces..... I remember thinking.... seriously.... I was nervous for that? I guess I was used to taking apart smg's and assault rifles. (this is also my first bolt action)

I took a look at the ribbing, and I realized that I could do the "through the ribbing" way of things, BUT, in order to actually get the rod into that tini tiny little place you'd have to do it from the front of the stock, which I didn't have enough resin to do so. So I removed the ribs and placed the rod and set the epoxy. and it was quick and simple!

Ok, now... the issue I had... before I started on the rifle.... my barrel was free floating.I take it apart, and put it back together. And because it was free-floating before I took it apart, I figured I didn't need to shave anything off the sides of the stock to do that. now its touching the side of the stock.

What caused that? Now I can guarantee that nothing happened to the barrel, nothing happened to the stock other than putting the epoxy and rods in.

Anyhow I just shaved off the sides until it was free-floated again.

thermaler
09-28-2012, 03:01 PM
So lastnight, I went to Home Depot and picked up the epoxy and they rod for my axis. To be honest, I was pretty nervous when I put the screw driver to my rifle, this is the first rifle i've owned since I was in the army, and although its an econo-rifle, I don't have money to replace it. However when I took off those two screws on the bottom and it simply came apart into those simple pieces..... I remember thinking.... seriously.... I was nervous for that? I guess I was used to taking apart smg's and assault rifles. (this is also my first bolt action)

I took a look at the ribbing, and I realized that I could do the "through the ribbing" way of things, BUT, in order to actually get the rod into that tini tiny little place you'd have to do it from the front of the stock, which I didn't have enough resin to do so. So I removed the ribs and placed the rod and set the epoxy. and it was quick and simple!

Ok, now... the issue I had... before I started on the rifle.... my barrel was free floating.I take it apart, and put it back together. And because it was free-floating before I took it apart, I figured I didn't need to shave anything off the sides of the stock to do that. now its touching the side of the stock.

What caused that? Now I can guarantee that nothing happened to the barrel, nothing happened to the stock other than putting the epoxy and rods in.

Anyhow I just shaved off the sides until it was free-floated again.Could be several things--don't fret--I'd go as far as to say that is almost normal for the barrel to touch after a re-assemble. Because of the flexible stock, triggerguard bedding etc. getting a good alignment is a bit of an art in itself--one poster suggested banging the butt of the stock lightly on something hard to start the seating. Also--if there is ever so slightly any movement in the recoil lug--I've discovered that will easily cant the barrel to one side or another.

Elteyr
09-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Could be several things--don't fret--I'd go as far as to say that is almost normal for the barrel to touch after a re-assemble. Because of the flexible stock, triggerguard bedding etc. getting a good alignment is a bit of an art in itself--one poster suggested banging the butt of the stock lightly on something hard to start the seating. Also--if there is ever so slightly any movement in the recoil lug--I've discovered that will easily cant the barrel to one side or another.

oh good. thanks ! i'll take another look! :)