PDA

View Full Version : Bedding an Axis Rifle

fla9-40
09-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Has anyone ever bedded an Axis, and did it improve it any? I also read somewhere that if bedded you DO NOT bed the rear tang, it needs to float....Is this true?

I may take on a stock building project and thought I would bed it after I was finished. Any thoughts on this?

Gmac5
09-25-2012, 07:56 PM
I m glad you decided to try you hand at inletting . Keep it simple at first ! Keep it single shot ,keep your action screws true . I dont have any measurements for the cf2 stock in front of me , give me a few days and if needed i could tell you where i redrilled my action screws.
Good luck gary

fla9-40
09-25-2012, 09:21 PM
I m glad you decided to try you hand at inletting . Keep it simple at first ! Keep it single shot ,keep your action screws true . I dont have any measurements for the cf2 stock in front of me , give me a few days and if needed i could tell you where i redrilled my action screws.
Good luck gary

Thanks Gary for any help on this. I did buy one of the stocks you talked about in one of your videos to try on my .223 and I also bought a slab of walnut to do one from scratch for my .308.

The walnut arrived Monday and now to start measuring about 20 times think about it again and then try a cut! =)

fla9-40
09-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Good luck gary

Gary I got the cf2 stock Friday...I thought I ordered the one with the adjustable pad but must not of. I will have to build or add some kind of pad to the rear, the pull is way to short for me.

Did you pillar yours and you said you could tell me where to re-drill the actions screws...I would appreciate that very much!

Thanks Gary for the tip on these stocks... I think I will order another one for my .308 then I could take my time with the Walnut slab i bought.

Gmac5
09-29-2012, 04:55 PM
DId you have wood spacer blocks shipped with it? Is there an aluminum butt ?
Ill tear mine down tomorrow and get some measurements for you.YOU CAN DO IT
Gary

fla9-40
09-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Nope there was no wood spacer blocks, or aluminum butt... I thought I did order that one because it said in the description "Screws are missing" and I thought that was no biggie!

Oh well I will make due with something.
I hate for you to tear down you gun, I will try and go for it and see if I can do it.
I want to pillar mine so I will see if I can get metal tube or something to make the pillars out of.

Thanks again!

I would like to know what you used for a trigger guard, mine has a wide and long channel cut in the bottom of mine... I thought about maybe a wood inlay or maybe aluminum???? Still thinking about that one.

HANDYANDY
09-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi, I just registered and I will soon post some pictures of my axis. I was wondering if the CF2 rifle stock is a somewhat similar fit to the axis? They are pretty cheap, and I'd love the give this rifle the chance to shoot as good as I know it can. Any suggestions anyone can give me on putting a better base under this rifle will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Andy

fla9-40
09-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Hello HANDYANDY and WELCOME to the forum!

The CF2 rifle stock is a very close fit but you will have to hog out some wood. If you don't have them already, get yourself some SHARP chisels, a good rotary drill, and some sand paper and TAKE YOUR TIME and you will be OK. Be sure to get the one with the adjustable pad or you will have to find something to add on to the butt.
I'm going to order me another one with the adjustable pad for my .308 and that will give me more time to work on the Walnut slab I have that is just that, a slab of wood!

Gmac5
09-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Fla9-40 If you order another check out PARKER HALE M-82 sniper rifle butt spacers , they are cheap ,a little smaller than what you have ,but the stock can be made to fit the BSA CF-2
YES I have used aluminum, fancy wood inlays, steel,plastic , and have also just shaved it down flush.
As far as triger guards , again gun parts corp has many to choose from .the as cast aluninum needs a little work but looks good finished
HOPE THIS HELPS GARY

HANDYANDY
09-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Thank you both for the quick responses, I really appreciate the help.

HANDYANDY
10-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I ordered the stock, and had an airhead moment until now. I really don't know what kind of trigger guard to get, perhaps either one of you would be able to shed some light on this for me. Thank you.

Andy

fla9-40
10-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I ordered the stock, and had an airhead moment until now. I really don't know what kind of trigger guard to get, perhaps either one of you would be able to shed some light on this for me. Thank you.

Andy

Check out this thread, Gary listed them here...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18193-Wood-blanks-for-axis-homemade-stocks

Gmac5
10-03-2012, 08:29 PM
I posted the butt spacers part # and trig guards I use on the other thread wood stocks and blanks for axis
Hope this helps ,Gary