PDA

View Full Version : New Stevens 200 .22-250

Take_Em07
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey just bought a stevens 200 and wondered what everyone else is shooting out of it and what i can do to it? I am having a bit of trouble sighting it in though i cant get it on paper at 100 yds. shooting hornadys 55gr Vmax. i want to lighten the trigger pull also or put an accu trigger on it if thats possible thanxs for the help

pdog06
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I havent seen a 22-250 yet that wouldnt shoot a 55gr vmax atleast decent. Sure you dont have something loose.

Take_Em07
12-22-2009, 10:10 PM
what do you recomend to shoot out of it? im goin for coyotes

trappst
12-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Start at 50 yards to get it on paper.....pull the bolt out and line up the target with the bore. Then look through the scope. If the crosshairs are high and right, then the bullet will be low and left...adjust accordingly.

If you still can't get things on paper, I'd say something is wrong with your bases, rings or scope. Or a combination of the three.

For yotes, try R-15 and 50g Noslers.

Blue Avenger
12-22-2009, 10:24 PM
news paper is cheap to expand your target and see where your hitting. (if the backer is big enough)

Three44s
12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
If you can't get lined up, I would look at your bases, rings and lastly the scope.

For changing triggers, I'd invest in Northlander's "Three screw" he sells.

And as to handloading. My .22-250 liked Varget. In a prior vintage of powder it liked WW 760 ...... but this was a Remington 788.

But again, this notion of magical loads ............ it don't happen!

Rifles are individuals ....... a few cartridges ......... do have strong preferences ..... but the lion's share are never "two peas in a pod".

Three 44s

Bad Water Bill
12-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I would NEVER take a new to me weapon to a 100 yard range to sight it in. That is what they have a 25 yard range for. I have seen people complain they were not on paper in 3 shots. I saw the bullets striking the ground less than 75 feet in front of the bench. I wonder how many go over the top of the berm looking for someones home a mile or so away. If you follow TRAPPST'S instructions you should be in the bull in one or two rounds. A cheap investment to keep a range. I have seen to many ranges closed for just that reason. Be safe and enjoy your new gun.

Apache
12-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Start at 50 yards to get it on paper.....pull the bolt out and line up the target with the bore. Then look through the scope. If the crosshairs are high and right, then the bullet will be low and left...adjust accordingly.

If you still can't get things on paper, I'd say something is wrong with your bases, rings or scope. Or a combination of the three.

Same thing I do except I line everything up on the corner of the target and do it @ 100yrds. Usually gets me within 4" of my POI.

Take_Em07
12-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Im shooting on our farm (600 acres) in the middle of no where im not to worried about other houses but thanks for the tips guys! :)

tiny68
12-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I would NEVER take a new to me weapon to a 100 yard range to sight it in.

I guess I am the opposite. I only bore site at 100 yds. I can usually be on a piece of 18x24". I am zeroing on the second shoot and by the third I am confident I am zeroed with a scope that tracks well. It takes some getting used to. The range I commonly shoot at has a 25 yds target only at a the 25 yd range (typically rimfire). I don't want to set up my gear to fire a single shot. I shot a 100 yd club match last month with a fresh barrel that had never had a round down the tube until I was firing the first leg. They put me up a sighter target. I zeroed, fireformed 20 pieces of brass, shot three different charges, and the 5 shots for the record in the first round. It was a busy 8 minutes. I still managed a 49-3X. Some days you just get lucky :D. However, the month before I went to the range with a new 6BR barrel. They were practicing for the 200 yds match the next date. Bore sighting a 6BR at 200 yds wasn't so fun. After 6 shots I still wasn't on the paper. 3 other "pros" gave it a look see and dialed in the scope. None of them manage to hit the paper either. Staple a newspaper up and was on track immediately. However I wasted 20 rounds in doing so.

If you can shot at 25 yds, you have nothing to lose by doing a rough site in so close. Just remember, that for a typical 1/4" click scope, it will be 1" 1/16" (duh.....) per click at 25 yds.

Luck, Tim

Take_Em07
12-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys! studied the Balistics chart a little more closely and found out i was shooting just over the paper but i got her dialed in at 300 now thanks for the help!

fatdaddy
12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
[quote=Bad Water Bill ]

If you can shot at 25 yds, you have nothing to lose by doing a rough site in so close. Just remember, that for a typical 1/4" click scope, it will be 1" per click at 25 yds.

Luck, Tim

Hey I think you went backwards there... 1\4" per click @ 100 yd = 1\16" per click @ 25 yds... Bill