PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap problem....

ark1gas
09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
I just tried to swap my 22-250 barrel to my 7-08. I've swapped these barrels several times in the past. Tonight the 7-08 barrel gets about 1/2 way down into the receiver then starts to get real hard to thread down then stops. The '250 will finger turn all the way in and out. The barrel nut will go on and off the 7-08 barrel with ease so I'm guessing the threads in the receiver are off a bit. Would it be better to take to the gun shop or to a machine shop to check the threads. Not sure how able gun smith is set up for this. Please advise. If its gets messed up I'm out 2 guns not one. Thx for any help or insight .

Blue Avenger
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
screw from scope base?

ark1gas
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
It's past the scope screw. I can't see anything on the barrel threads.

handirifle
09-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Well, if the one barrel goes right in, and the other does not, and you've swapped them before with no issues, it's not the receiver, it's the barrel. There is probably just a few threads that got dinged on the barrel, and are making it hard to screw in. I have seen it on my own. Go over each one with a magnifying glass, and when you find the buggered ones, use a small (like 1/8" wide or so) triangle file to gently clean up the threads.

pdog06
09-18-2012, 07:09 AM
ditto to what handirifle states. it definately isnt the action if the one barrel screws in fine. You probably just dinged up a thread from having the barrel lying around. I always wrap quite a few layers of electrical tape on the threads if its gonna be sitting, or use a PTG thread protector.

http://content.midwayusa.com/product/762354/ptg-thread-protector-savage-110?cm_vc=OBv1_