PDA

View Full Version : Which action to use for a budget 308 precision rifle build?

nuke
09-17-2012, 06:44 AM
I want to put together my first rifle.
What I have:
1. A savage scout (model 10) 20” barrel 308 SA 4 5/16’?(older rifle/first GEN scout, must be 4 1/4"?) Bolt spacing, staggered detachable magazine with side release button. 3 screw adjustable trigger. Pencile barrel.
2. Stevens 200 30-06 LA 5 1/8”? Bolt spacing, blind mag center feed.
What I want is a 20” 308 heavier barreled rifle in a better stock and a decent trigger. I would be using this for ranges out to 1000yds. I have been shooting 3 gun and would like to shoot some “sniper/precision rifle matches”.
Mods I plan in order;
1. Mount an optic: Bushnell tactical elite 10x scope, Weaver 20 moa base, TPS rings (low?)
2. Install a bipod: is there an acceptable substitute for a Harris: How about the Blackhawk bipods?
3. Trigger: If using the savage scout I would tune the trigger, so far I have replaced the spring and adjusted it but no sear face work? If using the Stevens I would buy/install a rifle basix (which one?) I have replaced the spring on this one but still tons of creep.
4. Check accuracy here.
5. Install the ER Shaw 20” tactical barrel (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/762388/er-shaw-tactical-barrel-savage-110-series-small-shank-308-winchester-factory-varmint-contour-1-in-10-twist-20-matte-with-5-8-24-threaded-muzzle) with a new stock. Currently thinking of a B&C Duramaxx?
Is one of these actions a better starting point than the other?

Thanks in advance.

David E.

seanhagerty
09-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Wow. Lots of moving parts here.

Order of improvements for me would be Barrel, trigger, optics, bipod, stock.

I have a Bushnell Tac Elite 10X scope. I think you are going to want more mag for longer than 300 yard ranges. At least that has been my experience.

nuke
09-17-2012, 07:05 AM
I measured the Savage bolt spacing this morning with a ruler and must be off a little, it's an older rifle and must be 4 1/4" instead of the 4 5/16" I listed above.
I'm starting with the Bushnell 10x because of some good reviews for the price and think it will meet my beginner needs. Up till now I have been using a 1-3x on my AR out to 400yds and recently went to a 2-7x. At least for the low level sniper matches I think the 10x will get the job done.

Thanks,
David E.

M.O.A.
09-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Just rebarrel your scout it already has to trigger and bolt you need.

nuke
09-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Just rebarrel your scout it already has to trigger and bolt you need.

That how I'm leaning, just not sure about the stock. Can I just open it up to clear the larger barrle profile? If I need a new stcok, do any work with the side button release magazines?

thomae
09-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Take a wooden dowel, or a long socket the appropriate diameter. Wrap sandpaper around them and sand away at the stock. Check often and make sure you are taking away material evenly on both sides. In no time at all, you will have enlarged your barrel channel enough to free float the new barrel.

nuke
10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Update;
I went with the 308 scout as my staring point.
- Mounted a 10X Bushnell Elite scope on TPS rings and EGW base. The base to receiver contact was off so I bedded the base to the receiver with JB weld.
- Bedded the action to the cheap plastic stock including recoil lug, tag free floating. Prior to this if I tightened the front bolt first and then the rear the action would pivot on the front bolt/mounting point and was raised off the rear mount about 1/8”.
- Mounted a Blackhawk Bi-pod
- Trigger pull weight about 4 lbs with some creep.
- Went to the range and it shoots right at/just under 1 MOA at 100 - 400 yards with 175SMK hand-loads. I’m not used to the recoil and the gun is very light. A better shooter may have better results.
I have since polished parts of the bolt, cut the striker spring (about 3 coils), adjusted the trigger to ¾ lb using my redneck fish scale and sear engagement at about ½ turn. Cutting the striker spring reduced trigger pull weight a bunch; I had previously installed a lighter piano wire spring.
I plan to test fire again and will most likely increase trigger pull to 1 ½ - 2 lbs base on what I have read.
I have a B&C Duramaxx on the way. My plan is to inlet the Duramaxx for the current savage DBM with side button release as I have 3 four round mags. I think that in the future if I upgrade to the CDI bottom metal and mags I can inlet the stock further.
I think I will add some weight to the butt-stock and take another trip to the range before installing the Duramaxx. I know cutting the striker spring is controversial and I plan to inspect my primer strikes and compare them to primers from before. Worst case I will have to get a new striker spring. The bolt/lift is much smoother now.
Range report to follow.
David E.