PDA

View Full Version : dang stubborn gun ;-[

Pages : [1] 2

M.O.A.
09-17-2012, 06:33 AM
just cant get this dang thing under that beloved .5 mark

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q492/MOATWO/72faf980.jpg

dont you hate when you try and try and dont really get any where

this is my 11 LRH 6.5 cm and it kinda just shoots everything and anything just about the same??

i know that not really a bad thing because if i run out or forget my bullets all i have to do is go get some of anything in 6.5 creed and i know its going to het the same POI.

ive try factory 120s, 129s, and 140s. hand loads 130 hunting vlds and 140s with varget and H4350,and variase seating depths, all shoot about a .75 to .60.
any ideals

to date the 130 hunting vlds shoot the best printing consistent .6s

P.S. the bottom left being the 2.810 is the first shoots out of a cold clean bore

M.O.A.
09-17-2012, 07:36 AM
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q492/MOATWO/ac59faa7.jpg

Here's some more tests

acemisser
09-17-2012, 08:34 AM
You sure it is not the shooter? I know nothing about the 6.5 creed..I was considering getting one but
now I don;t know if I want one or not..THAT VLD bullet a Berger? If so I hear it takes lots of tinkering
to get them to shoot...Try some other bullets and use the loading manual seating depth to start with..
What kind of rest are you using? You aint letting the barrel lay on the rest are you? If so this will mess
you up big time...

82boy
09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Most accuracy issues are shooter related. To start without a good rest, and the rear of the rilfe suported, youll wear yourself out tying to shoot small groups. Shooting without windflags is a waste of time. Just because a scope is new or a good name brand doesn;t make it a good scope. Other things to look at, make sure your bases are tight, many time from the factoy they are loose, also make sure the screws ar not too long and bottoming out before the base gets tight. Same thing for rings, and action screws. As others have mentioned try diferent bullet, and powder combinations. My advise would be go back to the seating depth that did not have the vertical in it (2.830, and 2.86) and using the same powder try diferent powder charge. (Go up and down.) Last thing I would do is go to smaller taget dots, the therory is aim small miss small.

acemisser
09-17-2012, 12:35 PM
When I shoot from the bench,I have to constently talk to myself..Do this don't do that...I get fliers and
after makeing a post on here and getting a comment about shooting the old fashon way..Things did
improve..Another problem I know is MY own fault is not sticking to one load and fine tuning it...I alwya have to try
another bullet,another powder,etc...The biggest issue I deal with is form..I need to work on form..
I think it is alot of other peoples problem as well...There I have admited it...Hi my name is John
I am a fiddler...I need help to get through this....John

82boy
09-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Another thing to add. If your are shooting group NEVER start you group with a cold bore, or a cleane bore. In my competition rifle I can predict my first shot withen 1 to 2 bullet holes to where it will print, but I AWAYS shoot 2 fouler shots before I EVER shoot a group. When the gun is in tune I dont need to shoot sighters, but I still ALWAY shoot 2 sighter groups to get things right. 1 resaon is it takes 2 shoots to put a bit of heat into the barrel to get things to where they operate properly, and 2 depending on your cleaning regimate, it might take a couple of shots to clear out what you put into the bore, and to get things to settle down to where things are working properly. Last try diferent things, you barrel may like to be shot dirty, see what happens when you dont clean it.

acemisser
09-17-2012, 01:16 PM
the guys at Hodgons told me that the worst thing is the salt like grit from the
primers..I talked to them for awhile after I got my new barrel befor shooting it..
He recommend I clean or at least patch it out after 10 shots if possible,to extend barrel life..

Is he right? He should know...But in a match I have to shoot 20 rounds befor I can patch it
he said that is ok,just do it...Some say clean some say not....Who is right?

fgw_in_fla
09-17-2012, 01:31 PM
"Is he right? He should know...But in a match I have to shoot 20 rounds befor I can patch it
he said that is ok,just do it...Some say clean some say not....Who is right?"

The rifle is right.... I have a 25.06 that'll punch .420" hot, cold, clean, dirty, sunny, overcast...... My .243 is like an ex - wife. Things have to be "just so" for it to be happy & even then it's tough. My .243 does best with about 12 to 15 foulers before it settles down. Get a feel for what the rifle likes. Not what you think it needs....
Become one with the rifle..... Feel the vibe from the bullet......

Sorry...
Good luck with it.

Frank inFla

M.O.A.
09-17-2012, 05:13 PM
OK guys I use a lead sled to get dialed in then to the bags then when its where I won't it I shoot off the bipod and freehand setting. Because I'm a hunter and that is how ill shoot out of the stand.

No the rest does not lay on the barrel.

Started out at the manuals seating depth

And yes they are Berger's.

M.O.A.
09-17-2012, 05:19 PM
I was woundering if I speed it up a bit if it would help I can switch to h100v and get about another 150 fps but would thiqs help or just makeme madder

acemisser
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Not being a expert,I have been told that it may takes lots on tinkering to
get the Bergers to shoot...Start with them into the lands and keep backing
out some.You may findit..But use the same powder charge in eveyone..Either that or find another bullet
to try.That may help you more..

M.O.A.
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Also is it possible this is just a .75 moa gun and won't do any better. As it is just a factory heavy sporter barrel

acemisser
09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
maybe at that...you got to mention all the detairls as they say..lol

bootsmcguire
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
I am sure you are shooting this rifle for target and not hunting, but as a hunter that kind of reliability would be worth alot, especially with that wide of a variety of ammo.

kevin_stevens
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Also is it possible this is just a .75 moa gun and won't do any better. As it is just a factory heavy sporter barrel

If you're a hunter shooting from a stand, isn't that good enough? I think you're a closet tinkerer, as well. :)

KeS

82boy
09-17-2012, 10:43 PM
the guys at Hodgons told me that the worst thing is the salt like grit from the
primers... He recommend I clean or at least patch it out after 10 shots if possible,to extend barrel life..
Is he right?

Nope,
This may have been the case many years ago when there was corrisive primers used, mostly in military cartridges. The new modern primer will not do this.

Not being a expert,I have been told that it may takes lots on tinkering to
get the Bergers to shoot...

Berger bullets are not harder to tune than any other bullet out there, in some case I find that they are easier to tune.

M.O.A.
09-17-2012, 11:13 PM
OK thanks guy I'm going to play some more with the powder and get a pound of h100v and practice some more. And yes I love tinkering with every thing from cars to guns and ammo.

And yes its should be good enough for hunting hut what kinda man would I be if I settled for good enough LOL ;-)

bootsmcguire
09-18-2012, 12:19 AM
And yes its should be good enough for hunting hut what kinda man would I be if I settled for good enough LOL ;-)

Oh I totally understand that, but sometimes good enough is a blessing in disguise.

acemisser
09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Nope,
This may have been the case many years ago when there was corrisive primers used, mostly in military cartridges. The new modern primer will not do this.

Why should I not think the guys know what they are talking about..I know what you mean by the old military primers..

But I am gonna take their word over yours any day....I don't think he would have told me this if it wasn't so...

Berger bullets are not harder to tune than any other bullet out there, in some case I find that they are easier to tune.

why would Berger say this if this wasn't so..No everyone is gonna B.S people...If the man thatmakes the bullets
knows what he is talking about,again why would I listen to you?

MikeCTX
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
So was it a guy from Hodgdon powder or Berger bullets that gave you the information?

As to when to clean, you really have to decide that yourself.... read interviews on that question from several barrel makers and they do not agree. question was ask and 82boy gave his impression based on his experience so why be so negative about his response.