PDA

View Full Version : question about old crf guns

ammowaster
12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I have one of the old crf 300 ultramag guns I bought to build a 338 ultra mag.

Lately I have switched gears and thinking more along the lines of a 243, 260 etc.

My question is can I just swap bolt heads out like the regular guns or is the crf its own animal?

Thanks

EFBell
12-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Should be no big deal as long as you have all the parts for the ejector and extractor for the new bolt head. It's a different animal if you wanted to convert a non controlled feed to a controlled feed due to the ejector configuration. You may want to consider selling that action or swapping for a stagger feed action. You may end up ahead of the game.

trappst
12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Swap bolt heads and take the standing ejector out....it's held in place by the trigger group cross pin.

I've got two separate bolts for my CRF WSM action. It's been a 270 WSM, 20 Vartarg and 6mm AI so far.

TheShootist1894
12-22-2009, 11:21 PM
OR, you could make me REALLY happy and swap your large shank action for my long action with a small shank??

ammowaster
12-23-2009, 01:52 AM
I know it would be easier but I also have a brand new chambered pac nor in 338 rum that would then be worthless.

My thinking is this way I still have the option of building my ultra mag if I change my mind.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks for the help though. Good to know I can use it for something