PDA

View Full Version : Need Rear Baffle help

tjf76
09-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Went to the range today and came back without my rear baffle for the bolt ??. Is the rifle safe to shoot with out it? Where can I get a replacement fast? My rifle is the older flat rear.

Thanks!

devildogandboy
09-15-2012, 11:58 PM
you might try these people, seems they have most of the things i need.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

if they don't have it, try these people. same goes for them and really good people to talk to.
http://jackfirstgun.com/index.php

good luck!!

karlrudin
09-16-2012, 01:15 AM
I had to rebuild my 110F model from 7mm Rem Mag to 7mm-08. Got my parts from Brownells. Bolt head, ejector complete, firing pin complete. Less than $50. Give them a try. Seen the baffle there.

tjf76
09-16-2012, 09:18 AM
is it safe to shoot without it?

thomae
09-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Not sure if it is safe or not, but personally, I would not use the rifle without it. At a minimum you will lose primary extraction.

82boy
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Yes and No, the baffel has nothing to do with headspace or lock up, in that regard it would be safe to shoot. The problem is the baffel contains the primary extration ramp,that breaks cases loos after firng, so without it you would only get one shot off, and would not be able to extract the cartridge. With that all said "NEVER FIRER A GUN THAT IS MISSING PARTS, THEM PARTS ARE PUT THERE FOR A REASON."

tjf76
09-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I am going to call Savage in the morning and order the rear baffle. Wish I knew where the darn thing went.

thomae
09-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I am going to call Savage in the morning and order the rear baffle. Wish I knew where the darn thing went.

If you had the bolt out of the rifle, the baffle could have rotated around the bolt body and then fallen off. If you can go back with a magnet you could search the ground around where you were shooting.
I once dropped a teeny-tiny-eensy-weensy scope ring screw outside because I was stripping paint off the rings with brake cleaner. I looked and looked, and finally gave up as it was getting dark. The next day, I went back with a magnet and found it in about 2 minutes.
(I was using a very strong magnet salvaged from a computer disc drive. Interestingly enough, it also picked up a lot of dirt because we have a lot of iron in our soil...but I digress).)

tjf76
09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Thats a good idea. I am also going to call the range master tomorrow and see if anyone turned it in or he found it.

Cserv
09-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I bought a model 11 .308 that is missing the rear baffle, and have had zero issue with extraction. Have put a couple boxes of ammo through, and not one fte, burns right through a mag no problem. I intend to replace the baffle, but the lack there of has had no effect on function.
Eric

Gmac5
09-18-2012, 05:15 PM
How many savage rifles do you own to compare it to?

tjf76
09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I ordered one from Savage, 9.00 is all it cost. Thanks for all the help!