PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake Indexing

coopertiresux
09-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Hello All!

I'm new to the forum but not new to savage. I recently purchased A 111 LRH chambered for .338 LM. After unboxing I noticed that the muzzle brake is indexed a little to far clockwise and it drives me nuts. It would make me feel better to know that somebody else has this same issue. Or maybe somebody knows somebody who has this problem?

Thanks for Reading!

brtelec
09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
That sounds like a problem the factory should take care of.

M.O.A.
09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
just how is it to far clockwise? there should be 48 holes in 12 sets of 4. it does not really have any real spot it goes in ???????? just as long as you can open and close it is all that matters

brtelec
09-13-2012, 04:11 PM
On the .338 LM it has a traditional side port muzzle brake, not the savage brake that is on their hunting rifles.

M.O.A.
09-13-2012, 05:14 PM
On I see send it back to savage or take it to a Smith

Opus Dei
09-13-2012, 06:54 PM
IDK what the setup you have is like, but can you use a washer to index, like on an AR? If so, any place that sells muzzle devices ought to have crush or peel washers for your thread size diameter.

big honkin jeep
09-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Are you sure it didn't come set up that way to offset the rotational torque of that cannon?

jonbearman
09-13-2012, 11:22 PM
I would just call the factory and ask to speak to a tech or maybe sharpshooter will chime in as he is one of the experts.He knows them inside and out. Or call jim briggs at northland supply at:1-763-682-4296 . He (jim) is very knowledgable and he will call you usually in the evening as during the day he is busier than heck.

coopertiresux
09-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I would just call the factory and ask to speak to a tech or maybe sharpshooter will chime in as he is one of the experts.He knows them inside and out. Or call jim briggs at northland supply at:1-763-682-4296 . He (jim) is very knowledgable and he will call you usually in the evening as during the day he is busier than heck.

jonbearman,

You may be on to something. I do believe that my issue is only cosmetic, but it would be nice to at least be told that this happens sometimes. Thanks to all that replied!

tyler.woodard04
09-14-2012, 09:36 AM
ive used .001" shim stock and cut to fit both thread and brake diameters. it cuts with scissors, and works well and is perfectly parallel

brtelec
09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Shimming it will certainly work, but I believe the biggest hurdle will be getting the muzzle brake off of the rifle. It can be removed but most of them are a bear to turn.

tobnpr
09-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a "production rifle" issue, but how far is it "off"? Maybe you're like me, as a contractor, I just can't stand anything that out of plumb, square or level visually...just bugs me...even though it might not be detrimental from a practical perspective- so I get where you're coming from.

I would call the factory as suggested....and ask what they would do to fix it. Too far clockwise means they've removed too much shoulder from the barrel.

Probably, they would just install a crush washer, which you could do yourself.

Timing a brake without using one is definitely a precision operation.

coopertiresux
09-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Sounds like a "production rifle" issue, but how far is it "off"? Maybe you're like me, as a contractor, I just can't stand anything that out of plumb, square or level visually...just bugs me...even though it might not be detrimental from a practical perspective- so I get where you're coming from.

I would call the factory as suggested....and ask what they would do to fix it. Too far clockwise means they've removed too much shoulder from the barrel.

Probably, they would just install a crush washer, which you could do yourself.

Timing a brake without using one is definitely a precision operation.

Hello tobnpr,

Sorry for the very long delay, but my work schedule is crazy (factory shift). The brake is only about 1/8" to far CW and there is a crush washer installed, probably going to have to use a peel type washer to get it perfect. I too work with my hands and take lots of pride in my work. It does bother me when others don't do the same. I will call Savage today and see what they suggest. Thanks for the reply.