PDA

View Full Version : Barrel has worked itself loose?

FIVETWOSEVEN
09-12-2012, 11:38 PM
I rarely shoot my Savage 111 but I've found that the cases have been showing rings near the case head and one of the brass has actually cracked. These are of various factory and hand reloads so it's not ammunition related. Could someone shed light on this and how to fix this?

Here is the thread where I originally asked on The High Road with little success but a better and more detailed write up. This is something that has formed over time considering that older spent brass doesn't have the rings.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=649482

First post :help:

jonbearman
09-13-2012, 11:58 PM
If you dont have the tools or know how,have a gunsmith drop his headspace gage in and check it. If it has excess headspace he can loosen the barrel nut and adjust the headspace for you. Dont screw around with tons of answers and the life you could save is your own.Not trying to scare you but it isnt to be taken lightly.

fgw_in_fla
09-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Sounds kinda like the 'ol case head separation. If the rings are a lighter / whitish color & go part way around to all the way around & they're near the case head & you have some that have cracked already, it could be case head separation.

Its more common in older brass that's been reloaded & resized many times although I have had it happen with brand new brass. Can you break the case open where the crack is? If yes, is the case wall very thin?

you can try some new brass AFTER you have the rifle looked at & you're certain it's OK & the headspace is set to correct dimension.

Good luck & be careful....

Frank in Fla

M.O.A.
09-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Are they just with the 32 acp adapter if so that's your problem

FIVETWOSEVEN
09-14-2012, 01:46 AM
The brass was both new factory and reloads. The one with an actual crack was a factory loading from Remington. All brass from varying dates all had the ring after firing but that wasn't the case from the beginning. When I first got the rifle a few years ago, there weren't any rings. More recent firings had those rings appearing. The adapter doesn't have anything to do with it.

M.O.A.
09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
So your not shooting with the 32 adapter???

pdog06
09-14-2012, 07:19 PM
you said the thread on the high road gave you" little success"? Does that mean that you have checked the headspace and it is correct? If not then dont knock them until you prove them wrong.

a bunch of people telling you the same thing should turn on the light bulb., and give you a starting point to repair your firearm before someone gets hurt.......

darkker
09-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Based on THR posting, I think M.O.A. cracked this nut.
The adapter is bad.

Blue Avenger
09-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Barrels don't come loose if you tighten the nut. If it has never been removed I will bet any amount you want it did not come loose! If all your cases are going bad, then your adapter is bad!!

Nandy
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
So, is the 30-06 cases or the 32 acp case cracking? if it is the 32 then how will the headspace of the rifle matter much? it is probably the adapter. if the problem is with the 32 and the 30-06 shells are fine then that will be another clue indicating the adapter...

M.O.A.
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes the adapters weren't made for firing hundreds of rounds from.

earl39
09-14-2012, 09:53 PM
MOA looking at the pictures referenced in THR post it is the 30-06 case with the crack. I would wonder if using the adapter has somehow worn the chamber a little allowing to much headspace. Could cause excess wear if adapter was too tight. I would check headspace and take a good look inside the chamber as well.

FIVETWOSEVEN
09-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Now that you mention it, when I first got the chamber insert, It was very stiff but loosened up. Maybe it's a harder steel than the barrel and wore it out. If that's the case then that kinda sucks. At least I could use it as an excuse to get a .308 barrel for it. Where would be the best place to look for a barrel? All I would need is a factory barrel.

M.O.A.
09-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Right here go to the top of the part and click ethereal NSS or shilen. Also midway sells barrel kits that come with every thing you need

thomae
09-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Here is the thread where I originally asked on The High Road with little success...
Quite a number of people responded to that post and suggested that you have headspace issues. You might wish to listen to them.

Also, it would be helpful to those trying to help you if you would provide a direct response to questions about your particular situation/issue. Helping others is what we are here to do.

At least I could use it as an excuse to get a .308 barrel for it. Where would be the best place to look for a barrel? All I would need is a factory barrel.

If you don't wish to solve the case separation issue and simply want to buy a new or different barrel, please clarify so that the good forum members out in internet land don't spend lots of time and brain power solving a problem that is now not an issue. If you do wish to solve your case separation problem, lets continue the dialogue and not let this thread go off topic and turn into a "choose a barrel" thread.

Before you do anything, I would suggest you consider taking into consideration the advice of many individuals on this forum and others who suggested to you that it might be a headspace problem. To this end, I would suggest that you purchase or rent a set of headspaces gauges (or take the rifle to your nearest competent 'smith) and check the headspace.

The other thing that your gunsmith can do is to carefully check the chamber, either with a borescope or by making a "casting" of it with a material known as Cerrosafe (sp?) that will allow him to measure and determine if there is excessive wear somewhere in there. (Perhaps from the adapter...but no way of knowing until it is checked.)

Once you have that information, then you can proceed with the next step, regardless of what that may be, with actual information, instead of opinions.

Bottom line: Your rifle is 'not working properly' and as with any machine that is not working properly, you need to stop using it, and spend a bit of time, effort, and perhaps money to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

If you are serious about trying to fix this problem, try those suggestions and then get back to us with your results so that we may A) provide additional suggestions based on corporate knowledge, and B) know if our answers to your questions were even in the ballpark.

Grott
09-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Quite a number of people responded to that post and suggested that you have headspace issues. You might wish to listen to them.

Also, it would be helpful to those trying to help you if you would provide a direct response to questions about your particular situation/issue. Helping others is what we are here to do.

If you don't wish to solve the case separation issue and simply want to buy a new or different barrel, please clarify so that the good forum members out in internet land don't spend lots of time and brain power solving a problem that is now not an issue. If you do wish to solve your case separation problem, lets continue the dialogue and not let this thread go off topic and turn into a "choose a barrel" thread.

Before you do anything, I would suggest you consider taking into consideration the advice of many individuals on this forum and others who suggested to you that it might be a headspace problem. To this end, I would suggest that you purchase or rent a set of headspaces gauges (or take the rifle to your nearest competent 'smith) and check the headspace.

The other thing that your gunsmith can do is to carefully check the chamber, either with a borescope or by making a "casting" of it with a material known as Cerrosafe (sp?) that will allow him to measure and determine if there is excessive wear somewhere in there. (Perhaps from the adapter...but no way of knowing until it is checked.)

Once you have that information, then you can proceed with the next step, regardless of what that may be, with actual information, instead of opinions.

Bottom line: Your rifle is 'not working properly' and as with any machine that is not working properly, you need to stop using it, and spend a bit of time, effort, and perhaps money to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

If you are serious about trying to fix this problem, try those suggestions and then get back to us with your results so that we may A) provide additional suggestions based on corporate knowledge, and B) know if our answers to your questions were even in the ballpark.

Well said, I often feel this way but don't take the time to type out a response. Thanks thomae