PDA

View Full Version : How do I level the reticle on a Mk. II?

kevin_stevens
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Silly question, but there you have it. I'm trying to level my scope reticle on a Mk. II rimfire, and I can't figure an easy way to get a baseline level for the rifle in my gun vise. Everything else I have has either a flat receiver that I can level to, or a flat bolt surface where I can use a level, or just pry with a credit card to align the bottom of the scope to the top of the bolt/receiver. Everything here is all rounded surfaces and I can't really get a good straight edge to level or align to. Best I can do is use a level across the lower half of the rings, and then level the scope to that - but I don't have a lot of confidence that the lower ring halves are true.

Thoughts?

KeS

thomae
09-12-2012, 04:32 PM
First of all, your calibrated eyeball is more precise than you may realize.

Here is a review of an interesting scope alignment device called the "Reticle Tru" here (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?139-Reticle-Tru-Reticle-Alignment-Device-Review).
There are also a few videos of this device. Search youtube for "Reticle Tru."

Alternatively, here's how FGW_in_FL does it:

To get a scope reticle level / plumb, I put my 24" magnesium level on a fence post or anything to securely hold it, shim it to level, set the rifle up on a table that's known to be level & then set up my scope reticle to be level against the level across the yard. Works great with one minor drawback. I'm forever forgetting the level on the fence. When I need it I end up tearing the truck apart, sift thru junk in the garage, rummage thru the house only to remember it's outside on the fence, usually with a blue jay on it.
Frank in Fla

I hope this helps

kevin_stevens
09-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Not really helpful -I can lose tools just fine by myself! ;)

My real problem is that I tend to cant a rifle, so yeah, I can get a nice level reticle by eye, but the rifle underneath it could be anywhere. Maybe I'll run a straightedge up the recoil pad screws and align by those.

KeS

thomae
09-12-2012, 10:40 PM
If you don't want to invest in a Reticle Tru, how about this:
Option 1: Fabricate a straight-sided wood board that fits through the magazine port and out the top of the receiver. Have it slide in through the top and make the fit tight, so there is no slop. Clamp the rifle in a rest and shim it until the board is plumb. Then, lock the rifle down and remove the board. Your action should now be, if not level, about as close to level as you can get.

Option 2: Buy a wood dowel or aluminum rod and turn/sand it down until it fits into the barrel (Or you could use a cleaning rod). Then, glue/tape/fasten a thin thread to the center of the end of the rod (or to the patch holder if you are using a cleaning rod) sticking out into the magazine. Pull that thread taut, and align the vertical crosshair of the scope with the thread.

What do you think? Helpful?

jhelmuth
09-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Kevin,

If you have a good bipod and an attachment point on the forend of the MKII (you should have if it's stock), then attach the bipod and use a framing/roofing square to set the rifle to be perpindicular to the surface you want to run the scope level on. Then use the level method described above. I don't think I need to go into details.... I'm sure you'll understand completely.

Jim

kevin_stevens
09-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Those are all good suggestions, and I came up with another that I ended up using - I hung the rifle upside down by a sling to establish the level, and then levelled the scope while inverted. Worked great!

Thanks all.