PDA

View Full Version : Converting a synthetic bling mag stock to detachable

handirifle
09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I have a wood stock, detachable mag, which is what the rifle came with, and currently it wears a blind mag synthetic stock. I have gotten to like the synthetic stock better, BUT would love to convert it to detachable magazine, with the parts I have. has anyone ever done this before?

A couple years back I stiffened the synth stock so am happy with that, not looking to spend hundreds on a ready made one either. By the way, this is a left hand, LA SF, so kinda, no VERY, hard to find a ready made anyway. I like the high cheek piece, like I have and light weight.

Now if I can make it a detachable mag, it will be perfect, for me anyway.:becky:

Ha! I just noticed my typo! NOT a BLING magazine :becky:, a BLIND magazine

Shoot-N-Nut
09-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Ive never converted a Savage, but I have done a few Remington 700 ADL's to BDL. It was never a problem in a wood stock, but I tried to do a synthetic ADL coversion once and found out they mold them stocks with minimal amounts of material and the bottom of the stock was thin around the trigger guard and I cut through the bottom inletting for the full lenght bottom metal. Now it was covered by the bottom metal but the only contact points was where the screws went through. In the 700 it wasnt to much an issue, I have a bedding block of the trigger assembly and was able to use black Acraglas to fill the area and bed the bottom metal. Im sure Savage is the same way, Im sure they use the same internal inletting on their wood stocks for both internal and external mags but they use two different molds for the synthetic.

Im pretty sure it can be done, but I'd check the bottom of the stock and see how much material you have to work with first. If the stock has pillars in it that may be the biggest pain getting them cut down to fit the bottom metal.

handirifle
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Yea, after I posted this I came across this http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/724206/ram-line-syntech-rifle-stock-savage-110c-with-detachable-magazine-synthetic-black. Wasn't even aware they made one. I might just wait them out, and have to set that one up like mine, with raised cheek piece and good pad, and stiffened up as well.

I have grown really fond of the synthetic stocks. I find I worry not at all, about beating them up in the field. I do not try to abuse my rifles, but I do not want to be afraid to go through tough brush with it either.

I use the Kick eze cheek pad as well, to bring my eye to perfect alignment with the scope. Makes for much faster, on target, time. I did learn, though, that you have to put them on with contact cement, and not trust the "sticky" they come with. Theirs peel off in heat.

243LPR
09-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Stay away from the Ram Line.I had one on a 308 and it cracked at the wrist after less than 50 rds. They sent me a replacement but I never put it back on,went back to the factory stock. B&C Duramax might be a better option.

handirifle
09-12-2012, 01:02 PM
I will see if that seems to be a recurring theme with the ramlines, or if you were just the one unlucky one. Thanks for the heads up. I have had folks warn me away from the savage tupperware stock, but with a little work it is fine, for me anyway.

handirifle
09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Well from the reviews I read, most folks were saying, basically they liked the stock but the barrel channel didn't line up????? Uh, why did they like it then? That's kinda important. Thanks for the heads up.

Looked at the B&C website and first off seem real limited on Savage selection, and none of them were anything close to my liking. Everybody and his brother are offering "tactical" style stocks.

sorry, am not a sniper, I just like to hunt. The tactical style vertical pistol grips dig into my side when shoulder carrying the rifle.

Will have to go somewhat back to original plan.

jonbearman
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Check out stockys stocks in florida. They do have somewhat of a selection and boyds.

big honkin jeep
09-12-2012, 02:29 PM
If it's an older flatback the conversion is simple. The remainder of the parts you need can probably be found for the right price in the classifieds or you can post a WTB ad there. Numrich gun parts corp or sponsors here are other good places to checkThe factory synthetics have worked just fine for me.

smax
09-12-2012, 03:17 PM
If it's an older flatback the conversion is simple. The remainder of the parts you need can probably be found for the right price in the classifieds or you can post a WTB ad there. Numrich gun parts corp or sponsors here are other good places to checkThe factory synthetics have worked just fine for me.

I have an older flat back. If you don't mind would give some details as to what is involved for these?

big honkin jeep
09-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Well basically you just need a factory synthetic DBM stock either right or left handed and the original DBM hardware that came with the rifle. The left hand conversion of a right handed stock is easy enough just fill the bolt handle cutout with epoxy. I did mine by drilling some small holes to create a mechanical lock,using duct tape across the inside of the stock as backing to hold the epoxy and then filling the bolt handle cutout with JB weld. Then I put duct tape across the outside of the stock to hold it in place while it set up. The next day pull the tape off and file and sand it smooth. Then I used a dremel to make a new bolt cut out. Though this can also be done with hand tools.
Remove the blind mag by placing a large flat screwdriver at the rear tab and striking it at an angle then put the DBM metal back in the action the same way by using a big flat screwdriver and striking it at an angle. Install the DBM long action stock. Make sure the action screws don't bind sometimes the ones for the wood stock are sometimes a little long.
If you need any clarification just let me know I'd be happy to help you along.
Good luck

handirifle
09-13-2012, 12:42 AM
I have all the pieces I need, except the stock. It IS an older flat top action, and I have TONS of practice getting the boxes on and off. Too much really. I wasn't aware they even offered the older rifles with detachable magazines in synthetic stocks. I will check Numerichs though. I have read before on making a leftie from a rightie, but other methods are always good to read.

I will have to send off an email to Numerich's. I looked and all I can find in detachable magazine stocks, are wood stocks.

big honkin jeep
09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Check the classifieds here and do a WTB thread or maybe someone who reads this thread will offer one up. With all the changes to round receivers and centerfeed mags the older DBM synthetics are getting a little harder to find. I think I got a really good deal and paid $65 for the one I got a couple of months ago but that included all the metal parts and the mag.