PDA

View Full Version : how to remove a SF mag ?

Willoughby
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
can any one shed some light on how to remove a stagger feed mag from the receiver ?
it looks to be staked in place on the front end
& the sides petrude into the reciever opening seemingly blocking any sidewards movement
any help appreciated

drybean
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
sure can,get a wide flat blade screwdriver
put at the rear base of the mag (trigger side)
hit it with the palm of your hand ,should pop out
installs the same way

drybean

fgw_in_fla
09-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey Bean - Does that include the older ones, too? I have an older 110 action (circa 1996-7?...) with stagger magger. I tried acouple times to pry it out, gouge it out, politely ask it out, threaten it, give it the 'ol palm against the screwdriver routine with no luck. There's slices cut thru the action where the tab are slid into. I'm afraid of what it'll look like when I get done.

Is that typical for what they all look like? Sorry Willoughby.... I didn't mean to hijack your section. I'm curious on this as well because once I get it out, what do I put in its place? I really don't think it'll survive removal.
I was told a while ago that Savage discontinued this method of magazine attachment due to feed troubles, reliability trouble & not being able to reuse the mag after removal. Anyone got anything on this?
Frank in Fla

drybean
09-11-2012, 09:53 PM
it has worked on all of mine

drybean

yorketransport
09-11-2012, 11:43 PM
I've had a few that needed a little extra "love" to get them out. Sometimes you just need to give it a couple of tries. Once I get them out, I will file a little bit off of the tabs so that the mags pop in and out a little easier.

Andrew

cgeorgemo
09-12-2012, 08:03 PM
I slap them with a rubber hammer on the end nearest the trigger group, once I get the trigger removed of course.

Blue Avenger
09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I slap them with a rubber hammer .

me too

tobnpr
09-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Yep, takes a little bit of azz to get them out...don't be afraid to use it...

big honkin jeep
09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Definitely use the screwdriver method and a hammer if necessary. I have broken the tab off of one trying to use other methods to coax it out before asking how to do it.