PDA

View Full Version : need guidance inletting det mag plate

sheep dog
09-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I am buying one of Boyd's varmint stocks and see they are all blind mag. I have the detachable magazine and floor plates from the savage predator and would like some guidance on how to go about milling the bottom out so I can install the det magazine floor plate.

I have a mill and a bit of experiance working with wood so I am confident with some advice I can pull this off.

Thanks

sheep dog
09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Has anyone here milled this area out on their own? Any help here on how to do this would be welcomed.

cgeorgemo
09-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Never done it...sorry.

rc109a
09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I am interested in the same thing.

sheep dog
09-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I know I have seen pics of the floor plate having been dremeled out, but cant locate them right now. Surely someone has some basic pics on where to cut and such. Please. Anyone :)

bassman
09-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Sheep dog
Welcome to the forum!
I have a Stockeys thumbhole stock that I inletted the DBM. I didnt take any pics of the progress but I can tell you how I did it so maybe it will help a little.
The DBM frame has a metal piece that sticks up so that you cant lay the piece flat and just trace the outline. I used a dremmel tool to do all the work. I first drilled out the area that the metal piece sticks up so I could lay the bottom metal flat somewhat. Use your action bolt holes to help line it all up paying attention to the contours of the DBM. Then just start removing wood a little at a time from your original hole to allow the DBM to slowly work its way in. Again use your bolt holes to keep it properly lined up. It took me a month working really slow to get it done but I am happy with the results. I also bedded the DBM in Devcon to get a clean look. One word of caution if you bed it is to make sure you tape the sides for clearance. Ask me how I know. It is not that hard to do if you just go slow. You cant replace wood once you remove it. Good luck!

Bassman

snowgetter1
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I have done it. I think somebody PM'd me but my inbox won't show any messages. Here is a link to a pic of mine. It is easy. The slower you go at it the better the fit will be. Mine looks ugly but works.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?14562-Boyds-stock&p=114636#post114636

sheep dog
10-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the advice guys but I took the "plunge" (bit of woodcraft humor) before y'all posted.

I will get the pics up tomorrow. I used a drill press, cross draw vice and a 3/4 forstner bit to inlet the entire dbm. Using a dial caliper I was able to measure the depth of the cuts needed from the donor dbm stock. Took an hour from start to finish.

I will take a few pics of how I did it before I spray the stock.

cheezie
10-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Sheepdog - looking forward to seeing your pics, since I'm needing to do exactly the same operation on a new laminated stock

devildogandboy
10-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I have done it. I think somebody PM'd me but my inbox won't show any messages. Here is a link to a pic of mine. It is easy. The slower you go at it the better the fit will be. Mine looks ugly but works.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?14562-Boyds-stock&p=114636#post114636

snowgetter, if the looks bother you any, get some Bondo and fill in the voids. then just touch up the paint. looks good to me.

snowgetter1
10-22-2012, 11:21 PM
I thought about bondo, but wouldn't it bond to the metal also? I am not that worried about the looks. I also wanted to be able to maintain the ability to switch the parts around on rifles.