PDA

View Full Version : Where has the 7mm wsm gone?

mysavagerifle
09-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Savage was producing one and now does not. Does anyone know why they stopped? Was there a peformance issue like they claimed with the 300 blackout? Or was it just not selling? It seems to be a well performer. Also the 7mm saum supposedly outperformed the 7mm wsm with less powder and recoil. Too bad the saum never got popular, would be a sweet setup.

thanks

M.O.A.
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
i heard it was not a good shooter in any rifle where as the 300 wsm was a better shooter the 7mm wsm didnt hold groups well

efm77
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I always assumed it was likely due to a lack of sales. While it is a fine cartridge, it hasn't really caught on like the 300 and 270 wsm's. I've heard a lot of long range shooters like it though.

EFBell
09-11-2012, 05:09 PM
It is certainly a fine shooter. Just not all that popular. I have one and its a great shooter. then again so is my 257 WSM and my 300 WSM.

geargrinder
09-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Every one I have built have been fantastic shooters. In the process of building two more. One on my 112 long action with a Pdog tactical and another with LH LA Stiller Predator action.

I use norma brass formed from 300 or 270wsm.

mysavagerifle
09-12-2012, 12:47 AM
i heard it was not a good shooter in any rifle where as the 300 wsm was a better shooter the 7mm wsm didnt hold groups well

hmm, there is a guy on gunbroker selling one that has pictures of his groups and it looks like his 7mm wsm shot well.

M.O.A.
09-12-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm just telling what I've heard

wbm
09-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I think sales has a lot to do with it. The Remington 7MM Magnum is a hard act to follow and the WSM does nothing the old Remington doesn't do except fit in a short action. I built a 7MM WSM a while back and it shot really well but I'm not sure it was more accurate than the 7MM Magnums I have had over the years. The WSM case design is definitely better than the belted magnum.

I do have some unfired 7mm wsm brass lurking about if anyone is interested in some.

mysavagerifle
09-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I think sales has a lot to do with it. The Remington 7MM Magnum is a hard act to follow and the WSM does nothing the old Remington doesn't do except fit in a short action. I built a 7MM WSM a while back and it shot really well but I'm not sure it was more accurate than the 7MM Magnums I have had over the years. The WSM case design is definitely better than the belted magnum.

I do have some unfired 7mm wsm brass lurking about if anyone is interested in some.

Well I think the 7mm wsm and Saum seem to out perform the 7mm rem mag from what i read. Less recoil, less powder, shorter bolt throw. Should be less chance of short stroke and performs with a shorter barrel reducing weight. Looks like about 2 inches or so diference at 500 yrds according to the winchester ballistic calculator 7mm wsm the higher point rem mag lower, 300wsm 3 inche and some chage different lower than the rem mag. I ave no experience with either though, but just read a lot about them. Really im a 30 cal guy but the 7mm wsm seems like another good option for long range hunting.

efm77
09-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Not trying to take away from the WSM's as I like them too. But, they're loaded about as hot as they can be and the belted mags for whatever reason have been throttled down over the years. I'd say if you loaded the Rem. Mag. right it would still outpace the WSM. Maybe not by much but it would be a lot closer than most factory ballistics show.

tyler.woodard04
09-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Own a rifle and a striker in that caliber. Both have kreiger barrels and shoot very well. Love that round

mysavagerifle
09-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Not trying to take away from the WSM's as I like them too. But, they're loaded about as hot as they can be and the belted mags for whatever reason have been throttled down over the years. I'd say if you loaded the Rem. Mag. right it would still outpace the WSM. Maybe not by much but it would be a lot closer than most factory ballistics show.

i dont like belted cartriges as much but if i was to pick one id go with the 300 win mag probably. You might be right about the 7mm rem mag. I just like th idea of shortened bolt throw and the fact that the round performs with a shortened barrel with wsm rounds. In the mountains, ounces become pounds and any weight reduction is plus to me. To me it seems the WSMs are the answer to a light mountain rifle. On top of the rifle and the gear i also will carry a bear side arm 44 mag, not sure of the weight but its havy enough. Ive been thinking on getting a 460 rowland conversion for a springfiel xd or a glock to lighten the load. If your not familiar wih 460 rowland its a 45 acp case lenghtened slightly and packs the punch of a 44 mag with more rounds of bear medicine. Ive shot a 1911 converted and it was pretty sweet. We chrongraphed it against my 44mag and its pretty comparable.

efm77
09-13-2012, 05:49 AM
I agree with you on the whole short action idea to save weight and even a shorter barrel too. However, I think if you go much shorter than 23-24" you will lose quite a bit of velocity. Maybe not as much as with the belted mags but still something to think about. The RCM's are made with powders to keep them from losing a lot in shorter barrels but as far as I know the WSM's have never really been touted as being good performers with short barrels. Like I said I'm not trying to take anything away from the WSM's because I like them and respect them too. Just mentioning some thoughts.

M.O.A.
09-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Yahoo the river compacted mags are better for short Barrett.

mysavagerifle
09-13-2012, 08:43 AM
I agree with you on the whole short action idea to save weight and even a shorter barrel too. However, I think if you go much shorter than 23-24" you will lose quite a bit of velocity. Maybe not as much as with the belted mags but still something to think about. The RCM's are made with powders to keep them from losing a lot in shorter barrels but as far as I know the WSM's have never really been touted as being good performers with short barrels. Like I said I'm not trying to take anything away from the WSM's because I like them and respect them too. Just mentioning some thoughts.

I dont think id go any shorter than a 22'' barrel 24'' is fine wih me even though its only a few ounces less than a 26'' which I would go with if i were going with a 300 win or 7mm rem. My 30-06 has a 22" but would rather it be 24".

efm77
09-13-2012, 07:52 PM
I can agree with that. One of my 300 win mags is a Winchester Model 70 and it has a 26" barrel. They're one of only a few that make the barrels the right length for both standard and magnum cartridges IMHO. Now my Savage 300 win mag is a heavy rifle anyway so I went with a 28" on it just to see how much more velocity I could get.

mysavagerifle
09-14-2012, 01:03 AM
yeah i like the model 70 better than th rem 700s myself but for th money they ask i think browning or sako might have the most bells and whistles. Hard to beat a good 3 lug bolt design. Its smoother and allows a lower bolt throw to clear low mounted scopes. Savages version of the 3 lug seems a little cheesy to me on the model 25 rifles. Thompson center does a decent 3 lug that ruger basicly coppied in the ruger american rifle. Ruger american seems crappy and all stolen ideas.

geargrinder
09-14-2012, 10:08 PM
The drawback of the 3 lug bolt is that you have to pull the firing pin back the same amount with less rotation. It's common to have very heavy bolt lift with 3 lug bolts.

helotaxi
09-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Yep, camming in or out a tight case is a real bear as well. My Browning X-bolt is a perfect example.

efm77
09-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Agreed about the 3 lug design. Everything has it's pros and cons. While I am a big Ruger fan and the American seems like a pretty good rifle to me, it doesn't really have any features that would appeal to me. Other than maybe the barrel nut.