PDA

View Full Version : action screws

stewart33
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
I forgot to order the longer action screws with the stock I ordered from Boyds'. They wanted 16 something bucks for two little screws. Just wanted to confirm that they are 1/4 x 28 , 1 1/4'' and 1 1/2'' for wood stocks. thanx

kevin_stevens
09-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I forgot to order the longer action screws with the stock I ordered from Boyds'. They wanted 16 something bucks for two little screws. Just wanted to confirm that they are 1/4 x 28 , 1 1/4'' and 1 1/2'' for wood stocks. thanx

To be fair, they only want $4-6 for action screws (blued vs stainless). They do charge a minimum shipping, which usually doesn't apply when you order with the stock.

Which stock did you order? It may affect the screw length.

KeS

stewart33
09-11-2012, 02:12 AM
To be fair, they only want $4-6 for action screws (blued vs stainless). They do charge a minimum shipping, which usually doesn't apply when you order with the stock.

Which stock did you order? It may affect the screw length.

KeS

It's a varmint thumbhole. Really, $16 bucks for shipping two screws. My misfortune!

kevin_stevens
09-11-2012, 02:33 AM
It's a varmint thumbhole. Really, $16 bucks for shipping two screws. My misfortune!

:shrug:

They sent me replacements for free, but then that was to fix their mistake, not mine.

My Boyd's screws measure 1.56" and 1.17" to the bottom of the respective screw heads. Boyd's customer service told me not to bother sending my originals back, so you can have them for free if you don't mind one blued and one stainless.

For the cost of shipping and handling, of course...

KeS

stewart33
09-16-2012, 03:19 AM
frequently asked question. my bad.

Mach2
09-16-2012, 04:13 AM

Pics? How long did boyds take vto arrive?

BrentWin
09-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I just ordered some from my local industrial fastener store, Fastenal in my part of the country. I got 12 - 1/4x28x1-1-1/2 button head allen screws for less than $10.00. I just buy the 1-1/2" and grind them down if I need them shorter.

stewart33
09-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Pics? How long did boyds take vto arrive?

Will post pics when complete (stevens 200,cbi 7mm,varmint thumbhole,leupold 4x12x40ao). Their shipping is excellent as far as getting it done. My stock arrived early. Go to your local industrial supply for your action screws, for $6 you will have enough for many projects. A little tweaking will be involved. Length tolerances are tight (look in frequently asked questions for lengths) and pay close attention to shank diam. vs head diam. take an old one to compare.

shoot well, Ted

les strat
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I ordered the longer bolts when I ordered my stock from them. The front screw was too long and seized the bolt action in the receiver. I ended up using the stock Savage bolt in the front. Works fine.

criticalbass
09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
I ordered the longer bolts when I ordered my stock from them. The front screw was too long and seized the bolt action in the receiver. I ended up using the stock Savage bolt in the front. Works fine.

Slightly off topic, but I once bought a 110 off the internet for a very low price becaust "bolt is very hard to operate." Yep, bolt head vs front screw. Luckily the bolt head is lots harder. They had worked it enough to put a groove in the front screw. It is now my cherished 338-06.