PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first hunting rifle

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brokebonez
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Sadly from wal-mart the savage 110fxp bundle in .270 for $447 +tax. Other then that I was eyeballing the Remington 770 .270 $315 out the door no tax. I hope I didn't make a mistake with the savage, anyway, I took it to the range to get sighted in. The .270 had more recoil then I thought it would, after 15 shots I started getting shaky. Was off quite a bit on the 50yrd so I sighted it a bit by shooting 9 rounds. Then moved over to the 100yrd and was barely on the paper with 2 test shots. Made my adjustments and fire 3 more shots and they weren't bulleye's but there around it top and bottom. I could have got a better shots but I was wore-out.

Final thoughts of the gun:
The Bad: I hate the cheap synthetic stock, the barrel has a uneven gap between the stock at the end of it. I believe it touches a little preventing it from floating. The bolt is loose and hits the chamber if I'm holding the bolt handle. If I like gravity hold it and just push it in, then it slides in just fine. I hate using scope caps, I wish they had the folding caps over the scope lens.

The Good: Its my first gun and it was under $500, has a free floating barrel "kinda". The scope works well for me, even though I don't know what a expensive nice scope looks or feels like.

Does anybody have the bolt hitting the chamber problem? I can make a video if need be. Also what is a cheap scope that's better then the bushnell 3x9x40 that comes with it?

darkker
09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Not sure what you are talking about with the "bolt hits the chamber" comment....
For the scope covers, buy some flips from Butler creek, they are about $5.
If you want to be sure about the "free-float", get a dollar and try to slide it through.

Brokebonez
09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Let me explain the problem in more detail sorry for my lack of knowledge on terms.

The bolt is loose and the bolt head hits the chamber if I'm holding the bolt handle after unlocking it and sliding it back or forward. If I unlock it and quit lifting up and just let it sit it will slide in and out effortlessly. I called savage arms and they say it's suppose to be a little loose but it sounds like they were dodging it. I don't think it's suppose to head the chamber with the bolt head, it hits about 1mm.

Brokebonez
09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
So nobody has any problems?? Must be nice to have everything go your way.

5spd
09-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Hmmm....I own 6 savages/built 4 and still dont see what you are talking about. The bolt is loose when you open it, it should be as its not locked into the action.

robin48
09-10-2012, 05:32 PM
You made the right choice in the Savage over the 770. Even Remington fans will tell you it's a pos. I personally have never had any kind of issue with my Savage rifles. If you don't like the stock there are plenty of aftermarket stocks. Congrats on the rifle and don't be shy at the range about asking for pointers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Brokebonez
09-10-2012, 05:43 PM
How do you not understand the problem? You pull the bolt out and it doesn't come all the way out it hits the chamber before its fully pulled out. Also it hits the chamber when you pushing it back in "loading a bullet" and I have to angle it back in with the bolt handle. Which if I'm going for a 2nd shot on a deer or whatever that's a missed shot because the stupid bolt hit the chamber instead of going into the barrel like its suppose to.

Would most people call this a bolt jam?

nsaqam
09-10-2012, 06:00 PM
The chamber is in front of the bolt in the barrel itself and the bolt will never hit the chamber.
Are you perhaps speaking of the magazine?

Ed Carey
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
It sounds like the bolt head is hitting the front part of the ejection port when going into battery, it shouldn't do that. My savage bolts are easliy worked, maybe not loose but no matter how fast or slow you work the action there aren't any hang ups. Have your local GS take a look, it's tough to diagnose over the internet

Ed

Brokebonez
09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
It sounds like the bolt head is hitting the front part of the ejection port when going into battery, it shouldn't do that. My savage bolts are easliy worked, maybe not loose but no matter how fast or slow you work the action there aren't any hang ups. Have your local GS take a look, it's tough to diagnose over the internet

Ed

Thank this sounds correct, sorry I don't know the wording that well. I don't have a local GS I live in the middle of no where I would have to send it to savage arms.

handsomerob
09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I'll give this one a shot. Your problem might be the front action screw is a tad too long and your hitting that. Otherwise from the way your describing it, it sounds like it is functioning like normal. Like I said "sounds". Your bolt should not pull straight out unless you press the bolt release. When loading your bolt should go forward and stop in the action, then rotate down. If you can take a picture of where it is hitting or like you said a video and we may help you more. It kind of sounds like your bolthead is catching or hitting part of the action. This might but be a burr.

skypilot
09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
When you lift the bolt handle and pull the bolt back until it stops then push it forward, how far forward does it go before snagging? Also , is it a blind magazine meaning you have to load it from the top?

Brokebonez
09-10-2012, 07:54 PM
It bolt doesn't fall out it just hits chamber on with the bolt head. Same for closing the bolt it hits the ejection port and I have to press down on the bolt handle so it lines up perfectly to slide in. I can't make a video anymore because its all boxed up for ups to deliver to savage arms. Also I'm too tired and have work in 3 hours.

mattm0812
09-10-2012, 08:36 PM
It bolt doesn't fall out it just hits chamber on with the bolt head. Same for closing the bolt it hits the ejection port and I have to press down on the bolt handle so it lines up perfectly to slide in. I can't make a video anymore because its all boxed up for ups to deliver to savage arms. Also I'm too tired and have work in 3 hours.

I suggest you work on it more and if anyone on here can't figure it out, then send it. Because if you send it now, savage is going to recieve and it's going to cycle fine and they're gonna send it right back. So you're out of shipping cost and time away from shooting.

And about what you said earlier with the" what if I'm hunting and I need to get a 2nd round in on the deer"....That's not going to happen. Your first shot is going to scare him and by the time you have reloaded and got back on the scope, he's long gone.

M.O.A.
09-10-2012, 09:04 PM
It sounds like to me the front scope base screws might be hitting the bolt head.

Brokebonez
09-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I suggest you work on it more and if anyone on here can't figure it out, then send it. Because if you send it now, savage is going to recieve and it's going to cycle fine and they're gonna send it right back. So you're out of shipping cost and time away from shooting.

And about what you said earlier with the" what if I'm hunting and I need to get a 2nd round in on the deer"....That's not going to happen. Your first shot is going to scare him and by the time you have reloaded and got back on the scope, he's long gone.

That is not always the case, I had one duck for about 15 seconds and pop back up running and I got it the 2nd shot. I've put 40rnds of 130gr federal through it since new 8/31 and savage arms is paying pre-paid shipping so I'm not losing money on sending it in.

mattm0812
09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
That is not always the case, I had one duck for about 15 seconds and pop back up running and I got it the 2nd shot. I've put 40rnds of 130gr federal through it since new 8/31 and savage arms is paying pre-paid shipping so I'm not losing money on sending it in.

Did you mean duck or buck?

If you did mean duck, then I believe it. Birds are stupid.

pitsnipe
09-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Did you mean duck or buck?

If you did mean duck, then I believe it. Birds are stupid.

I THINK he meant a BUCK that DUCK(ed) from a shot. Good luck on your issue with Savage. I hope for you that they can duplicate the issue as you know it. I know, that might sound ridiculous. Yer prolly sayin "How can they NOT see it?" But you never know. For the record I was with everyone else with your "hanging up on the chamber" comment. Until someone pointed out that you might be meaning the ejection port. There are a LOT OF KNOWLEDEABLE SAVAGE folks here. You are in the right place!

Good luck!!

handirifle
09-11-2012, 12:34 AM
It does not sound to me, like it will cycle normally for Savage. Something's not right, his terms may not be right, but I get what he is saying, I think it needs to go back. too bad, sounds like the poor guy has zero help locally. Not to mention he feels like the 270 is a hard kicker. Not sure how old he is, but sounds like he doesn't have a lot of experience shooting. Sorry to hear his first Savage rifle has an issue.

Brokebonez
09-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Ups is suppose to pick it up tomorrow, I wish I would have taken some pictures or video of it. There are 2 gouges on the bolt head and the side railing that the bolt slides on/against. The finish looks like its been sanded with 80grit sandpaper. I don't know if that's normal from wear or if the machinery is just bad. I'm highly disappointed with savage arms, if they can fix my issues I may think about purchasing another down the road. But it does put a bad taste in my mouth, I hope they can make it right.