PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy...

Pages : [1] 2 3

fgw_in_fla
09-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I decided to trade in a reasonably new SightMark for a new Vortex Viper. I'm not sorry I did. I ended up going thru SWFA for the trade in. A young fella by the name of Brian helped expedite the transaction & even set up a Saturday overnight delivery.
Based on this experience, I would highly recommend giving SWFA a try for your next scope trade in. Much like buying a car, the trade in won't exactly get the price you'd like, but you will get rid of your old scope & get a pretty good deal on a new one.
Check 'em out.

Special thanks to all who threw in their 2 cent worth to help decide on a new scope.

Thanks -

Frank in Fla

JackinSD
09-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Opticsplanet is another place to give a check. Fair prices and quick free shipping.

drybean
09-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Best prices i have found
BigSupplyShop.com

drybean

fgw_in_fla
09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
JackinSD - I wouldn't buy from OpticsPlanet if they were the last place on the planet. They jerked me around on a scope I bought that caused my bank to send me a notice of NSF. When I called & complained, I got some schmuck that made it sound like it was my fault. Recently, I got an email saying they would "look into it" mostly because of the review I gave them. When the CS person heard of my displeasure, they tell me "it's being reviewed".... Yeah, right..... review this.
Opticsplanet sucks.

Thanks anyway....
Frank in Fla

Yo Bean,
Have you bought from them in the past? Probably a stoopid question. How else would you know.....

drybean
09-09-2012, 04:10 PM
sure have,a sihtron sIII 8x32 lrmoa
great service,w/a call before they shipped

drybean

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 04:20 PM
No Vortex or Nikon on that website.

JackinSD
09-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your back luck with Opticsplanet Frank. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and hope it stays that way.

Good luck in you scope hunt.

I have had great luck with the Nikons that I've bought, both the 3x9 Prostaff and the 6x18 Buckmasters. The price is going to jump on my next scope as well.

fgw_in_fla
09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah I know..... you'll find good & bad in everything. I had the misfortune of getting a dimwitted bimbo the day I called. Just my luck.

I'm leaning toward a Nikon and or Vortex. I'll probably have to flip a coin although I really have grown to enjoy the Vortex Viper I have now. It's survived my '06 & currently plays a major role in the one hole groups I have shot with my 25.06.

It'll come down to which way the wind's blowing the day I buy.....

Maybe I'll just tie-wire my old telescope on top of the rifle & make a reticle on the objective with a magic marker. It's got a 162mm objective so I should get some good clear site pictures with it....

LAter y'all... Thanks for the input.

Frank in Fla

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah I know..... you'll find good & bad in everything. I had the misfortune of getting a dimwitted bimbo the day I called. Just my luck.

I'm leaning toward a Nikon and or Vortex. I'll probably have to flip a coin although I really have grown to enjoy the Vortex Viper I have now. It's survived my '06 & currently plays a major role in the one hole groups I have shot with my 25.06.

It'll come down to which way the wind's blowing the day I buy.....

Maybe I'll just tie-wire my old telescope on top of the rifle & make a reticle on the objective with a magic marker. It's got a 162mm objective so I should get some good clear site pictures with it....

LAter y'all... Thanks for the input.

Frank in Fla

That's how I felt today with the simmons...lol

Blue Avenger
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
another good for there price scope. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/835407/mueller-target-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-8-32x-44mm-side-focus-target-dot-reticle-matte

racerdave34
09-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Watch the sportsmans guide. They sometimes get some decent deals to come through there.

fgw_in_fla
09-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey Blue - When we got the SightMark scope it was a toss up between the Mueller & the Sightmark. We looked long & hard at both. I forget what the determining factor was. I think my son & I looked at horoscopes & figured that venus was in transition with a waxing moon on the cusp of waning or something like that.
I liked the Mueller. I think I may have asked around about them but when it came time to buy, they were on backorder. It looks to be a pretty good deal.
The criteria I'm following is pretty simple. Needs side focus, 18x min, prefer about 24x, 30mm, last longer than 3 months. For the last longer than 3 months part, that's based on going to the range 1 to 3 times weekly with a full day of shooting on sunday.
Frank in Fla

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Hey Blue - When we got the SightMark scope it was a toss up between the Mueller & the Sightmark. We looked long & hard at both. I forget what the determining factor was. I think my son & I looked at horoscopes & figured that venus was in transition with a waxing moon on the cusp of waning or something like that.
I liked the Mueller. I think I may have asked around about them but when it came time to buy, they were on backorder. It looks to be a pretty good deal.
The criteria I'm following is pretty simple. Needs side focus, 18x min, prefer about 24x, 30mm, last longer than 3 months. For the last longer than 3 months part, that's based on going to the range 1 to 3 times weekly with a full day of shooting on sunday.
Frank in Fla

I sure hope my Nikon lasts longer than 3 months :o

nsaqam
09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
This place has easily the best prices I've found short of getting a Dealer Discount from Grafs.

http://www.fedtacticaldirect.com/Scopes_c_1351.html

nateisw
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I got my scope on sale from the Cabelas website. My friend buys from webyshops and midwayusa. I've bought rings and mounts from Brownells, but never a scope.
Neither my friend nor I have had any problems with any of those sites.
Last week I had a friends and family coupon for 25% off one item at sports authority. If it hadn't already expired I would gladly email the coupon to you. I used it to buy a new gun safe, but was tempted to use it on a Nikon Buckmaster they had in stock.
Good luck with whatever you get!

Palmetto Savage
09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Hey in case you aren't aware Bass Pro is having their 'Take 6 to pay' deal. Buy expensive item ($150+ I think) and they will charge your credit card in six equal installments.

Allows you to spread out the pain of high quality glass. Sake rubs through 30 Sept I think

geargrinder
09-10-2012, 11:36 PM
This place has easily the best prices I've found short of getting a Dealer Discount from Grafs.

+1

Dealer discount from Grafs is hands down the best place for optics. Well worth the $30 spent on getting a Type 3 FFL. Plus the dealer prices from Midway and Brownells.

nsaqam
09-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Without a doubt GG!

I'm often shocked at the prices I see used optics go for in the Classifieds. Even several generations old optics.

I can often get these optics brand new for less than is paid for used stuff.

I'll bet I've saved $1300-$1500 on stuff from Grafs because of that $30 C&R FFL.

I also agree with you on Brownells but I find the dealer discount from Midway to be a joke.

mattm0812
09-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Without a doubt GG!

I'm often shocked at the prices I see used optics go for in the Classifieds. Even several generations old optics.

I can often get these optics brand new for less than is paid for used stuff.

I'll bet I've saved $1300-$1500 on stuff from Grafs because of that $30 C&R FFL.

I also agree with you on Brownells but I find the dealer discount from Midway to be a joke.

Your "amazing" website doesn't even sell Nikon or Vortex optics :rant:

nsaqam
09-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Grafs certainly does sell Nikon optics and IME you don't want a Vortex.

FEDtacticaldirect doesn't sell either but they do sell many fine choices including the amazingly great value Bushnell Elites.