PDA

View Full Version : New here with a question on .243 Model 12 Varmit Gun

lochbco
09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I have the Model 12 in .243 cal. that I purchased for coyote hunting and also for deer. I have never shot much past 100 yds with any other gun basically because I never needed to. Since I hate ice fishing I decided I wanted to do something else during the winter and we have plenty of yotes around so that settles that.

Now for my question, I am looking for a bullet that I can use for both deer and yotes that I can purchase easily and is accessible. The barrel has a 1 in 12" twist so I am thinking something in a 80 - 85 gr. ? The larger 100 gr. don't seem very accurate out past 200yds., of course that could be me but I am using a Lead sled for bench shooting and I am very comfortable out to the 300 yds but would like to see the groups reduced.

So far the bullets I have tried are: Remington 100 gr. SP, Winchester 100 gr. SP and Hornady Superformance SST 95 gr. Remington is terrible, Winchester is not too bad, very good at 200 yds. and I am keeping the Hornady out at 300 yds. in a 4" group. Weird, the Hornady is a little wild at 100 yds ??

I am using a 4x12 Zeise which I absolutely love.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks a bunch!!

skypilot
09-08-2012, 12:42 PM
I have a 1/10 twist .243 and it likes 85-100 gr, mostly Nosler handloads. In factory ammo for a 1/12 you may want to try Nosler 85 gr BT. Or even 70 gr stuff just for the yotes, and it may be the most accurate.
I have some handloads that shoot better @ distance than they do on a target face @ 100yds so I see the same thing as you sometimes.

Dennis
09-08-2012, 01:32 PM
My VLP 243 is bedded and I tweaked the trigger. This is the only work I have done to the gun.

For some reason it's love Nossler Balistic Tip's, 55 grn, 70, and 90's. 70's are my favorite. There expensive, but the Federal GMM Nossler 70grn NBT's are deadly in my gun.

Placed in the right spot, this bullet will drop about anything. It puts on heck of a hole in anything you shoot, plenty of internal damage to kill your prey. I could send pictures of my targets if you like, just send your email.

Dennis