PDA

View Full Version : Pillars off ebay

Mattd
09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
i got the pillars off ebay that i've seen others mention on here. they are supposed to be for a 110 and have the curved contour that fits to the action and the notched rear pillar to clear the sear. they arrived and they do not clear the sear or fit to the action. the action rides hi on the top side edges of the contoured pillar, not flat against the centerline. a decent amount of material would have to be removed to clear the sear.

should i just grind the contours flat (will it still clear the stock - i haven't drilled the stock to test yet cause some pillars are 5/8 and some are 9/16)? to grind the notch to clear the sear would leave a thin wall next to the screw hole. is that sufficient?

M.O.A.
09-07-2012, 11:57 PM
yes most are cut half way through, and i would try to grind the contour you need in the top. if its got a curve then you just have to take some out of the side and not the center .

tobnpr
09-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Just like barrel cleaning and break-in, so go the opinions on flat vs. contoured pillars...

My opinion, is that contoured pillars are a risk- and unless they are precisely machined for a perfect fit to the contour of the action, you're gonna end up with an imperfect fit.

That's a non-issue with flat pillars, and I've yet to be convinced of any advantage that contoured pillars offer.

As long as they're the correct length, eliminate stock compression...objective achieved.

Notching the pillar to clear the sear doesn't need to be precise and can be done with a grinding stone on a Dremel. But, I think trying to precisely contour that f'ed up pillar at this point could not be done. Uneven contact is going to cause problems and stress in the receiver.

I'd just buy a set of the correct factory pillars, already relieved for the sear.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-434/Savage-10-fdsh-110-Steel-Pillar/Detail

Werewolf
09-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I have used those pillars before. i just ground the tops of the curves down until it fit, the epoxy will fill in over it when you bed anyway. And I did have to grind off quite a bit to get it to clear the sear, but afterwards they worked just fine. Its a little bit of a hassle, but you can make em work. I didnt want to just waste them.

Oh yeah, 9/16 is snug, 5/8 hole gives some clearance for those pillars.

Leonardo63
09-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I used parts from the PT&G pillar sets with the curved tops. I turned them over and used the flats, it worked out much better an after the bedding fills all of it in you have just the small spots where the action sits. Worked out really nice.

Mattd
09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
this is my first attempt at doing this kind of work, and in hindsight agree that the contour is not the way to go. the action rests pretty high up on these where the metal is thin. repeated recoil could easily bend/alter that shape. i wouldn't try to grind the correct contour....i would just grind them flat.

or maybe it's just wisest to return them and get the factory ones.