PDA

View Full Version : New Boyd's Classic in pepper w/ stippling for my 110

les strat
09-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I reveived my Boyd's Classic for my 110 today. It bolted up perfectly, barrel still floating, no sanding or fitting. The stippling on this pepper turned out phenominal and creates a great grip on this stock that is otherwise kind of slick.

The rifle is a 110FXP with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40, Leupold aluminum rings, Weaver bases.

Guess I'll check the zero this weekend. Now the wait on deer season.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/0907121048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/0907121048a.jpg

Opus Dei
09-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Good choice! I think stippling looks "right" with a laminate.

pdog06
09-07-2012, 10:12 PM
looks very nice!

M.O.A.
09-07-2012, 11:17 PM
the boyds and stockys stocks are great makes me want to buy more guns to but them in ;-} by the way thats a great looking deer rifle you have. did you go with the satin or the gloss ?

kevin_stevens
09-08-2012, 12:43 AM
I don't think they offer a choice - the "finished" stock comes in a not-very-semi-gloss. I also ordered one a couple of weeks ago, and will post it up in a different thread. Mine is in the process of being stained slightly darker, and finished in a gloss oil-poly coat.

KeS

les strat
09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I can't believe how much better the rifle feels and looks. The stippling is just perfect and really sets it off.

The finish whatever comes standard on the Classic laminates. It is not a high gloss, but is very smooth and satin-like. I feel it would have been a bit slick for me had I not went with the stippling.

Funny thing with my rife.... the longer bolts you have to order going from plastic to wood stocks.... I had to use the longer one at the trigger guard, but when I used the replacement blot in the front hole, my bolt action would lock up and not move. The shorter stock one works, so that's what I went with. Strange.

Oh yeah, the trigger guard was switched to metal a couple years ago. IDK why, but plastic trigger guards on rifles just don't set well with me.

thomae
09-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Funny thing with my rife.... the longer bolts you have to order going from plastic to wood stocks.... I had to use the longer one at the trigger guard, but when I used the replacement blot in the front hole, my bolt action would lock up and not move. The shorter stock one works, so that's what I went with. Strange.
That's because the longer bolt was going all the way through the floor of the receiver and protruding sufficiently inside the chamber to impede the bolt as it turned.

les strat
09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
That's because the longer bolt was going all the way through the floor of the receiver and protruding sufficiently inside the chamber to impede the bolt as it turned.

That's what I figured, so although Boyd's says I needed the longer bolts, I did not on the front bolt.

I zeroed the rifle in today. Got it cloverleafing at 50 yds, about an inch high at 100 yds.

I tell you what I do miss on that tupperware stock... that Savage P.A.D.! Without it, A dozen 30-06, and I 'm done. The thin rubber pad on the Boyd's doesn't absorb much. That P.A.D. really tames recoil bigtime. I may see if it fits on the new stock.

thomae
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
If you have a workshop, get yourself a limbsaver or similar aftermarket pad and fit it to your stock (Perhaps you could take the PAD and fit it to the Boyd's stock?). I invested in a buttpad jig from Midwayusa and my first Pachmyer Decelerator installation looks absolutely wonderful (If I say so myself.). You might want to cut down the stock a bit because the pad will be thicker than the one currently on your Boyd's stock.

I am working with a Boyd's Thumbhole for my next build. I will be replacing the stock pad with a Decelerator.

I like the looks of your stock. Looks much nicer on a rifle than in the Boyd's advertisement. :cool:

les strat
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks!

Looks like that's what I will be doing. Appreciate the input.

shovelheadave
09-10-2012, 09:04 PM
that looks great

Grott
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Crossing fingers on a SA LH version of that stock??

les strat
09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Crossing fingers on a SA LH version of that stock??

Have you sent them a request? I bet it would be an easy do.

rc109a
09-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Do they make that stock for center feed with hinged floor plate?