PDA

View Full Version : Chamber length

Cowboy5780
06-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a Savage model 12 in 22-250 the chamber is super long if i load a Cartridge normal length of 2.50 its like 3/16 off the lands my 25-06 i load .10 off the lands my question is can the barrel be screwed in closer so i can get closer to the lands. if i stretch the bullet much over 2.60 theres not enough neck tension to hold it in the case im using 55 gr moly v-max bullets does anyone have a 75 gr bullet laying around they can give me a total oal on so i can decide if maybe i just need to go up to a heaver bullet
Thanks Tony

louthedog
06-01-2008, 09:04 AM
If your barrel is properly headspaced now then screwing the barrel in is not recomended nor will you gain much from it. Typically the breach face is only .005 to .010 away from the bolt head. This is all the space you have to work with and you still need a few thousands so the bolt will operate freely so you are really only working with .002 to .008. 3/16" is .1875 so as you can see moving the barrel .002 to .008 would be like pissing in the ocean. Longer bullets will get you closer and if you are really serious about it then setting the barrel back (have the breach face trimmed and rechambered) would be an option.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Tony: What you've got is a "factory" chamber and "free bore" set up.
The only way to change that is to have the barrel "set back" by rechambering with a reamer that has a "shorter" freebore. The freebore is the area between the end of the case and where the bullet touches the lands. Sounds like heavier bullets are in order. Load them up with a good neck contact length and see what you get as far as accuracy. You might be surprised. ;)

northlander
06-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Tony,
One concern you may have is using longer bullets will mean using heavier bullets. Your standard Savage 22-250 may have a 12 Twist or a 9 Twist depending on the model. Being able to stabilize the longer and heavier bullets may require a faster twist barrel if you currently have a 12 Twist.

If you have the 12 Twist you may want to have your barrel re-chambered and make sure you get a shorter freebore.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Der Verge
06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
May I ask why you are so concerned with seating your bullets out so far? I know many people are not fans of freebore, but those with Weatherby chamberings have lived with freebore for years, and accurately I may add.

I am going through the same issue right now with my Stevens 200 1:9" using 52gr BTHP and 53gr HPFB bullets. The throat is intended for longer bullets. I am going to move up in weight, but at the moment, I hold 10 shots with either bullet under 3/4" @100

peteras
08-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Savage Rifle Model 12
Trigger 1.5-pound trigger pull
Barrel length 26”
Twist 1:7
Single Shot
21.5 grains of powder to 22.0 grains of powder
Use 21.5 grains in case
CCI Primers 400#
Remington Case cut down to 1.749 length
Bullet 80gr. VLD

If case is cut to 1.750 length, the bolt does not move forward and or the bolt handle does not close down. I cut the case to 1.749 length or 1.748, the 1.749 works.

The O.A.L.

Then I put the primer in the case then the 21.5 grains and or up to 22.0 grains in the case. Now what is the right bullet seating depth for the 1:7” twist and with the 26” barrel length.

Need help
Send pictures on how to do this
Pictures are optional

Please send info soon to
househomecar@hotmail.com
Thank you