PDA

View Full Version : action wrench

stewart33
09-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted your opinion on using them. I've seen video of swaps without them but it's been recommended to me.

brtelec
09-06-2012, 10:51 PM
They work well and I used one for a while, but not too long ago I got a wrench from another member of the forum that simply fits around the recoil lug. I no longer have to remove the scope mount and I no longer have to deal with trying to grip the barrel in a barrel vise or the action with a wrench. This thing works slick and I have not experienced any problem using it. The biggest thing is, no more risk of marring the finish of either the barrel or the action when dealing with a stuck factory installed nut.

stewart33
09-06-2012, 11:16 PM
They work well and I used one for a while, but not too long ago I got a wrench from another member of the forum that simply fits around the recoil lug. I no longer have to remove the scope mount and I no longer have to deal with trying to grip the barrel in a barrel vise or the action with a wrench. This thing works slick and I have not experienced any problem using it. The biggest thing is, no more risk of marring the finish of either the barrel or the action when dealing with a stuck factory installed nut.

thanx for the reply. maybe just putting the lug in the vise with wood blocks would work. I'm sure this is talked about frequently but I haven't been able to make the search feature work for me. the reorganization of the site is throwing me for a loop.

rrflyer
09-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Jim at Northland Shooting Supply sent me his action wrench and barrel nut wrench....both work great.

For the 60 or so bucks they cost its cheap compared to junking up a barrel nut and having to wait a week for a replacement.

I would guess that for a factory tight lug the wood blocks just on the lug wouldn't work...mine was stout.

87predator
09-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Jim at Northland Shooting Supply sent me his action wrench and barrel nut wrench....both work great.

For the 60 or so bucks they cost its cheap compared to junking up a barrel nut and having to wait a week for a replacement.

++1

stewart33
09-07-2012, 01:30 AM
I do not intend to foul the nut. Regardless, I have another. Your wrench basically clamps the recoil lug anyway. 60 bucks could be spent elsewhere. This is no cheap habit and I hate to buy something I'll only use once.

brtelec
09-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah I think I would avoid trying to chuck the lug in a vise. I definitely found the action wrench to be easier to use on a stubborn nut than the barrel vise. I will say this. If you buy an action wrench and use it once, you will have no trouble selling it on this forum. I have never seen one last long in the classified section.

82boy
09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I have changed a few dozen barrels and never used an action wrench, I can also say Sharpshooter has changed a few thousand barrels, and has never used one. All I can say is, if you feel you need one then go for it, but it is not nessacary to use one.

northlander
09-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Just so you know, the new NSS Action Wrench does not clamp the recoil lug. We ship this wrench with a 1/4 - 28 Socket Head Cap Screw that secures the action and does not allow it to rotate. If your trying to hold the recoil lug while breaking loose a barrel nut you can damage the alignment pins on the higher quality lugs using that method.

If your improvised action holding system allows your receiver any movement you could twist your receiver and end up with a very expensive paper weight.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Nandy
09-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Savage installed Barrels will Be so much easier to change I'd they hadn't hire that gorilla that torques them down at the factory. Once I have installed a barrel myself all it takes is a ligh tap on the nut wrench. I have never used an action wrench and i had to use a barrel vise only when i removed the factory installed barrel.

stewart33
09-10-2012, 11:56 PM
thanx guys. I'll try clamping the barrel first. I don't have a silverback to reinstall my new barrel

acemisser
09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
I have changed a few dozen barrels and never used an action wrench, I can also say Sharpshooter has changed a few thousand barrels, and has never used one. All I can say is, if you feel you need one then go for it, but it is not nessacary to use one. A few thousand barrel.???????????hummmmmm

82boy
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM
A few thousand barrel.???????????hummmmmm

O' yea I would say it is a safe asumption. It is my understanding that they are Brux barrels #1 seller in the Country. Thats not counting all the Douglass barrels they sell on top of that, and all the other barrels that are sent into them to chamber. Then theres is all the guns that the dont chamber barrels on, and do other work. With being in business as long as they have, and doing the volumes that they do, yea I easily say it is a safe asumption to say that a few thousand barrels have been removed and installed with there barrel vice, and nut wrench.

yorketransport
09-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I have an action wrench which I use to break the factory barrels off. It's not necessary but it does make things easy. You can either spend the money on an action wrench, or on a good barrel vice. The oak blocks in a bench vice just weren't working well enough as a barrel vice for me.

Andrew

82boy
09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
A few thousand barrel.???????????hummmmmm

Something to add, if you still dont beleieve thay have chambered a few thousand barrels, I can say this, I have seen several 5 gal buckets full of recoil lugs sitting over there. Now each barrel change would be 1 recoil lug. Now how many recoil lugs can fit into a 5 gal bucket? That should give you an idea how many times that wrench has been used. They are also still useing the first wrench they made.

stewart33
09-16-2012, 02:23 AM
Action wrench not necessary!