PDA

View Full Version : New memeber to the forum + pics!!

Pages : [1] 2

all_twisted
09-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Hey yall,

So my name is Cameron. I from Yelm, Wa. I currently have 3 firearms at this point but many more to come. I have a springfield xd 9, Mossberg 500 12 gauge, and last but not least I own a savage axis xp .308. By far the savage is the funest to shoot. I had some problems to start out with the savage. The first time I took it out shooting and the casing kept getting stuck in the chamber after they were fired. I was telling this to my gun smith, and after he looked out he said there was a little bur in the chamber so he sanded it down. I took it out again and put 20 rounds down range and they all exited with out a hitch. I have not done much to it besides putting a cheap utg bipod on it. I just order a timmey trigger and cant wait to get it in the mail. I hope to get some further info on upgrades but I realize there is not much you can do the these rifles. But here is a shot of the rifle. I am saving up right now to get another scope. But the one I want is 1000 bucks, but I will be able to put it on other rifles I WILL be getting in the future.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k524/cameronheaton/RT.jpg

MaDa
09-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Welcome and enjoy the site. There is a wealth of firearm and savage specific information that has been shared and will be shared in the future.
The rifle looks sharp. That's one nice thing about good glass, you can always put it on a better rifle. Alot of information here on good optics without spending a grand also. Sometimes they come across the classifieds also.

M.O.A.
09-05-2012, 10:24 PM
welcome to the family and nice looking rifle you have

thermaler
09-06-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm a newbie too--I saw your post over on my "fiasco" thread. : )

I just got a Nikon buckmaster in 6x18x40 mildot with side focus for my Axis from Midway USA--they are on sale for around $320.

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm a newbie too--I saw your post over on my "fiasco" thread. : )

I just got a Nikon buckmaster in 6x18x40 mildot with side focus for my Axis from Midway USA--they are on sale for around $320.

Just ordered one.

thermaler
09-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Just ordered one. I'm sure you'll like it. I found that I didn't need the offset rings for it since the tube is plenty long enough --but I did get a set of 1" high rings just so I didn't have to cock my head as much when doing a cheek weld.

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm sure you'll like it. I found that I didn't need the offset rings for it since the tube is plenty long enough --but I did get a set of 1" high rings just so I didn't have to cock my head as much when doing a cheek weld.

I have no idea what any of what you said means, but I bought a pair of weaver skeleton rings...lol.

thermaler
09-09-2012, 06:47 PM
My apologies for not expressing myself better. : ) I'm a newbie too--so I try to avoid sounding like some kind of expert.

Many scopes are kinda short in length--at least the lower power ones--and the weaver mounts on top of the receiver are kinda far apart, so I've had to use rings that "leaned" forward or back in order to accommodate the shortness of the tube but still fit the mounts. That won't be a problem with your buckmaster. The offset rings I was using (you can see them in the "pheonix" pics I posted) put the scope pretty close to the bore--so I had to kinda cock my head (I have a fat head) sideways a bit in order to get a good cheek weld to the stock when aiming. The higher rings (I hope) will relieve that to some degree--also hopefully helping with the problem with bulkier ear protection clearing the stock.

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 06:53 PM
My apologies for not expressing myself better. : ) I'm a newbie too--so I try to avoid sounding like some kind of expert.

Many scopes are kinda short in length--at least the lower power ones--and the weaver mounts on top of the receiver are kinda far apart, so I've had to use rings that "leaned" forward or back in order to accommodate the shortness of the tube but still fit the mounts. That won't be a problem with your buckmaster. The offset rings I was using (you can see them in the "pheonix" pics I posted) put the scope pretty close to the bore--so I had to kinda cock my head (I have a fat head) sideways a bit in order to get a good cheek weld to the stock when aiming. The higher rings (I hope) will relieve that to some degree--also hopefully helping with the problem with bulkier ear protection clearing the stock.

Gotcha.

Jayne Cobb
09-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Fellow .308 Axis owner!

Elteyr
09-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm also new to the site! I own an .223 Axis! I'm up here in Alaska. and there are so many different topics that are relevant to the research I have been doing in order to upgrade my rifle, that I couldn't help but register.

thermaler
09-24-2012, 08:36 PM
test 123

M.O.A.
09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Read you loud and clear

thermaler
09-24-2012, 09:10 PM
sorry--I can't figure out how to delete posts--anyone?

Richard Giguere
10-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Hello neighbor, I am also a newbie. It would seem we are neighbors, I live in Spanaway and shoot at the Tacoma Sportsmans Club. In fact I joined it last week have you been there..? I have 2 savage rifles, one is the Axis 223 and the other is the MK II and just yesterday put a new boyds gunstock on it. It is the Baracuda stock. WELCOME !!

fla9-40
10-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Welcome to all the new ones here....Like I'm an real old timer here :rolleyes:

What is the difference between a savage axis xp and a regular axis and how would one tell them apart?

M.O.A.
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
XP is just a package gun comes with scope and rings ;-)

Richard Giguere
10-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Welcome to all the new ones here....Like I'm an real old timer here :rolleyes:

What is the difference between a savage axis xp and a regular axis and how would one tell them apart?

OK well I am a very much newbie but here is what I concluded. for example a letter S is for stainless, B 9 in the case of the MK II is for the Baracuda stock . I happend to find this on some swebsite and don't remember where. Perhaps it was at the Savage website.

M.O.A.
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
That's close SS Is stainless steel and BS and it looks like the rimfires have there own legend but from what I gather the baracuda stock is BS or EV?

As the mark II BSEV is the barracuda stock 22 but it has a fluted barrel that looks cool as a cube ;-)

Richard Giguere
10-10-2012, 08:27 AM
MOA yep, your right as I said I am a newbie. I have a MarkII with the Baracuda stock and fired it for the first time yesterday. It is very comfortable to shoot. So now I am left with a Mark II thumbhole stock that I cant use. Perhaps I can order just a SS Bull barrel fluted and action. It might cost me mmore to do that than just purchasing one outright. Anyway I agree it is a very nice looking weapon....
That's close SS Is stainless steel and BS and it looks like the rimfires have there own legend but from what I gather the baracuda stock is BS or EV?

As the mark II BSEV is the barracuda stock 22 but it has a fluted barrel that looks cool as a cube ;-)