PDA

View Full Version : Barrel burn out of 22-250 with stainless bull barrel??

Pages : 1 [2]

acemisser
10-18-2012, 05:47 PM
interesting read,but I find it very hard to beleive that the life of a barrel is over in a few seconds...I aint real...

MZ5
10-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Be as skeptical as you like; that won't change the reality. In terms of actual time firing with a bullet moving down the barrel, the lifespan of a rifle barrel is genuinely miniscule.

devildogandboy
10-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Be as skeptical as you like; that won't change the reality. In terms of actual time firing with a bullet moving down the barrel, the lifespan of a rifle barrel is genuinely miniscule.

much like our own lives compared to the stars!

acemisser
09-10-2016, 09:51 AM
been a long time now..But I got around 3500 rounds thru it befor it
went north south and etc..Did pretty well with it..Anyway,I am thinking of
bulding another one only with a varmint weight barrel..Just wanted to touch
base again.Rizo:(

RC20
09-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Interesting on the primer aspect. Bench shooters clean a lot, long range not much from what I read.

Of course there is all the other shooters.

I am on the side of the shoot it and enjoy it. Take the best precautions you can while doing so but it will wear out.

Its why I got Savages. I can change the barrel and I can get what barrel I want (pretty much)

It also why I now have 3, it breaks up the rounds per gun and they all will last longer.

The latest is a 270, odd choice but I got a great deal on the package, I am going to play with it though no great hopes as its a pencil, family had a 270 and lots of stuff for it form bullets to dies. If it shoots good I will have fun, If not the XC 308 goes on it and long term is will get the 7.5 x 55 Swiss.

Iowa Fox
09-10-2016, 03:20 PM
I've come to believe that barrels are just an expendable part of shooting. If I get two seasons out of one these days I'm happy, that means I got some good shooting in and lived another couple years. The timed matches with sighters are where they get hot and nothing you can do about it except keep shooting..

243LPR
09-10-2016, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=kschilling;136035]:oWow!!!!!!! It seems that some people on here think they have all the answers, when in fact they don't. To make a statement as such without even knowing the raw data for the load???? What an alarmist! Here's your reminder!!! He sounds like one of those shooters that always has the correct advise for everyone. Bunch of that stuff on SniperHide too......

HUH??

m12lrs
09-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Interesting on the primer aspect. Bench shooters clean a lot, long range not much from what I read.

Of course there is all the other shooters.

I am on the side of the shoot it and enjoy it. Take the best precautions you can while doing so but it will wear out.

Its why I got Savages. I can change the barrel and I can get what barrel I want (pretty much)

It also why I now have 3, it breaks up the rounds per gun and they all will last longer.

The latest is a 270, odd choice but I got a great deal on the package, I am going to play with it though no great hopes as its a pencil, family had a 270 and lots of stuff for it form bullets to dies. If it shoots good I will have fun, If not the XC 308 goes on it and long term is will get the 7.5 x 55 Swiss.

Exactly

The advantage of.a.savage

Order a new barrel and.most.likely you will have it.in a week. Back in business.

Want a different cartridge. Just order a barrel and switch it.out. you can change back and forth in 30 minutes

Rebarrel a conventional bolt gun and you will be lucky to have.it.in 6 months

swamphonkey
09-25-2016, 09:15 PM
been a long time now..But I got around 3500 rounds thru it befor it
went north south and etc..Did pretty well with it..Anyway,I am thinking of
bulding another one only with a varmint weight barrel..Just wanted to touch
base again.Rizo:(
I don't think that's too bad. For the avg Joe that shoots a few boxes a year that rifle could be passed down to his kids. Good luck on your next build.

darkker
09-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Congrats, and thanks for the update Ace!!

[QUOTE=kschilling;136035]:oWow!!!!!!! It seems that some people on here think they have all the answers, when in fact they don't. To make a statement as such without even knowing the raw data for the load???? What an alarmist! Here's your reminder!!! He sounds like one of those shooters that always has the correct advise for everyone. Bunch of that stuff on SniperHide too......

HUH??

I don't think he liked the fact that I pointed out a 90gr bullet going 500fps over SAAMI max, is a bomb waiting to happen. Velocity doesn't come from angels, it comes from pressure.