PDA

View Full Version : Convert Left Hand 111 in .338WM to 8mm Rem Mag?

fishhunt
09-04-2012, 05:42 AM
I'm not new to shooting or Savage rifles but I do have a few questions about converting a factory LH 111 in .338 Win Mag to 8mm Rem Mag. The rifle in question is an older pre-accu-trigger model 111 with a blind magazine. Is this just as simple as putting on a new barrel and setting the headspace? If not, is it possible and what steps need to done?

Thanks in adavance for any help.

<>< Fish

efm77
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Well if you just want it to be a single shot it's pretty much that simple. The 8mm Rem. Mag. is a full H&H length cartridge and requires a longer mag box to be a repeater than what is in your 338. The older models that have the mag box attached to the receiver can be made to repeaters for the longer cartridges but it's quite a bit of work.

fishhunt
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
What steps are needed to make it a repeater? Are there factory or aftermarket parts to buy? Does itrequire custom made parts?

I searched around here a little hoping to find a thread where a simular swap was done showing before and after pics of what was changed but I didn't find one.

<>< Fish

handirifle
09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I think the opening for the mag has to machined to fit the larger well. I am sure Fred or someone that REALLY knows, will chime in.

sharpshooter
09-05-2012, 01:53 AM
The big question is.....where are you going to find an 8mm barrel?

LabRat2k3
09-05-2012, 04:03 AM
I know you know a ton more than I do about all this, but Douglas has them listed on their website. Now whether this is accurate or not I do not know, like I said you have a working knowledge, and I'm just looking at a website.

efm77
09-05-2012, 05:44 AM
I think ER Shaw will make them too but they have a really long wait time. I'm not sure about other makers. I don't think the mag opening in the old flat rear receivers is long enough. Now Savage did make RUM's and STW's on the old actions but they had longer openings/boxes in them than the standard long action. Others on here who have done it have had to cut a little out of the mag opening to get the longer mag to fit. And all I've seen have had to cut and extend their current mag box too. I think the easier way to do it is with the new center feed actions. The mag box is not attached to the receiver and the mag opening in the receiver is slightly longer. I have one and a 300 Weatherby round will fit in it. All that is needed is to cut a notch out in the front of the mag box to allow clearance for the bullet noses and it will still clear the feed ramp.

fishhunt
09-05-2012, 09:38 AM
The big question is.....where are you going to find an 8mm barrel?

ER Shaw is what I am planning on using. This is not a short term project so I don't mind waiting on a barrel. I've already got the dies, brass and a couple of hundred rounds of factory ammo cheaply so now its just a matter of building the rifle.

<>< Fish

sharpshooter
09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
You might want to look into it a little further and get a confirmation, last time I needed a 8mm barrel I couldn't find any maker willing to do one.

Cycler
09-06-2012, 12:38 PM
You might want to look into it a little further and get a confirmation, last time I needed a 8mm barrel I couldn't find any maker willing to do one.
Interesting. I guess the .325 WSM (aka 8 mm) must have been a total failure if no one chambered for it.

efm77
09-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I guess confirmation would be good but McGowen shows them chambering the 325 WSM too so maybe they will have some 8mm barrels.

Cycler
09-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Coming back to this topic, is there some reason you are particularly enamored with the 8 mm RM? As the lack of barrel choice shows, 8 mm cartridges have never been very popular here and the choice of bullets will be quite limited too. You could go slightly bigger to .338 Rem or .340 Weatherby Mag where the barrel and bullet choices become enormous.