PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Finally joined the 99 club

bootsmcguire
09-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Well I finally joined the "Club" of Savage 99 owners. I got a 99E in 243 factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts and even had the mounts with it. Has the aluminum rotor and no round counter, but seems to be tight and with good function. Everything I have read about these balancing nice appears to be true.

Only question I have is, "Is there anything I need to watch for special to these rifles?" I mean a mechanical weakness that needs special maintenance or anything?

Everything I have read has been great and that they are one of the best leverguns ever, but it seem that every machine, from guns to cars, always has at least 1 flaw.

Thanks for any thoughts or tips you have for this 99 newbie.

chj3
09-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Have had a 99 in .243 for 30+ years. Only "flaw" is being careful if you reload -- I need to stay near the bottom of the recommended loads for mine. Assuming that you have one with the tang safety, you may want to stay away from a scope with a real large eyepiece, depending upon how low your scope rings are and if you will be shooting it while wearing gloves. (Have an older Redfield 2.75x widefield in low Weaver rings on mine.)

bootsmcguire
09-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Good to know, I'll start a tad lower than normal when I start working loads. Mine has the safety/lever lock underneath and to the rear of the lever. I am planning on uptting a 60's era Weaver K2 or K3 (not sure which) on it just to give it the classic look and I know the K2 holds and functions perfect. I still have not found time to shoot it, but hopefully soon.