PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: Savage 220F failure to Eject ????

Westcliffe01
09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
So folks, my 2012 model 220F came in this week and I took it to the range today.

I was very puzzled after the first shot, since the shell extracts from the chamber fine, but absolutely will not leave the bolt. The bolt has a notch (7:30 position seen from the rear) for a receiver mounted ejector but the receiver has no ejector pin / rod/ blade whatsoever ??? I have looked at the receiver for clues where one would go, but it is not obvious.

Anyway, I was sighting in the rifle, so I pulled each shell off the bolt by hand, pretty tedious. I got it sighted in more or less at 50 and 100 (I think it is about an inch low at 100) and I did not go further in case the rifle has to go back to the factory. Box of 5 saboted slugs ~$13 so nearly as expensive as shooting a 50 cal... I was holding off thinking that the larger pistol cartridges were going to be OK'ed for zone 3 but that soon petered out... I figure if I shoot 15 rounds in a year that will be a lot.

So, anyone who has a 220F, could you take a picture of your receiver from the magazine well with the bolt drawn back, so that we can see if there is a mysterious ejector hidden in there somewhere ????

Edit: OK, had a closer look in better light and found the slot for the ejector blade, but as expected - no blade in there ...

I have been to the Savage website, but it does not recognize my serial number ???? So no schematic to look at.

trappst
09-02-2012, 08:37 AM
There should be a standing ejector in there. On the Savage Arms website, go to the customer service section. At the bottom of the page is a link for product literature. The manuals can be downloaded....schematics are in the manual. That part finder thing doesn't work well at all.

If you still need a pic, let me know and I'll snap a pic of mine later....not home now.

Westcliffe01
09-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks, trappst, I was able to download the schematic for the 210 shotgun, which I am sure is similar to mine. The ejector is #23 and it appears is held in place with the same pin that holds part of the trigger mechanism. Bearing in mind the schematic was for the non accutrigger version (obsolete now I am sure) it appears to be fixed and I can't see any spring.

I guess my only option is going to be to call Savage on Tuesday. Since early antlerless is 22-23 September, that is only 3 weeks out and I want to be ready to go. I will potentially just buy the missing parts to avoid the cost of shipping back the rifle with all that entails.

A hah ! I see they had a later manual on the accutrigger bolt action shotguns... Guess what, no ejector shown on the diagram ??? The factory now seems to consider the trigger assembly and the ejector as part of the receiver. WTF ???

trappst
09-03-2012, 07:52 AM
I apologize! We ended up at the neighbor's house for dinner and a movie. Got home a little late to be taking pictures of the slug gun. I'll do my best to dig it out of the safe later today and take a look.

I honestly don't recall if it's similar to the older CRF actions or not. If it is, then you are correct....it's just a piece that's held in place by the trigger assembly cross pin. No spring or anything else.

Have faith though...my 220 had a broken firing pin when new. Savage corrected the problem quickly and a no charge to me.

trappst
09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Just put my 220F back in the safe. Definitely a standing ejector much like the CRF actions.......you either don't have one or the one you have is broken. Call Savage and tell them what's going on...hopefully, they'll mail the part right to your door.

Westcliffe01
09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
I called Savage today. Their phone lines were busy, took over 1/2 hour to get through including my first call being dropped when I only had 3 calls ahead of me. Finally got through and discussed that I had no ejector in my rifle. The rep first thought I was expecting a pin style ejector on the bolt and I explained that I knew where it went and that the slot in the receiver was empty. He finally agreed to send me one in the mail instead of returning the rifle. So now I just have to wait for a package in the mail...

trappst
09-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I had a new firing pin in just a few days, so don't worry.....although bolt parts have to be shipped to an FFL holder. Don't ask, Savage policy....

Good luck!!!

Westcliffe01
09-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Savage came through. Part was in the mail Friday. What a tiny part though. Might have to get a spare or 2... Install took about 1 minute. Found that the action screws were not tight when I went to take it out. The bedding could be improved too. Given the relatively hard recoil, I think that is up next. The fore end will get some re-enforcing too.

trappst
09-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Glad to hear it! I bedded the front pillar/recoil lug with devcon on mine. There is so little contact area at the rear pillar, I didn't mess with it.

<-----that pic is my 220F at 100 yards shooting Remington 2 3/4" Accutips. So far, I've killed deer from 20-125 yards

EFBell
09-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Trappst results are similar to mine and with the same slugs to boot. When working the bolt work it like you mean it and you should have no issues.