PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) model 10

Atracksler
09-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Just got home with my model 10 308.

I'm trying to get the bolt out, and can't quite figure it out. There is a button in front of the trigger guard, not one next to the receiver like I see in my web searches...

Also it looks like the barrel nut does not have fluting on it....

It is sn h064655

earl39
09-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Your bolt release is down at the trigger guard and not on the side of the receiver.

Dennis
09-01-2012, 05:20 PM
The one in front of the trigger guard should be the magizine release.

Removing the bolt, there should be a button on the right side close to the bolt handle, push it, then pull your trigger back, bolt should release.

At least this is the way it is on mine, FYI

Dennis

Cycler
09-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Removing the bolt, there should be a button on the right side close to the bolt handle, push it, then pull your trigger back, bolt should release.

Dennis
Wrong. If the barrel nut is unfluted, it's one of the newer action designs. The bolt release is the tab right in front of the trigger guard but you have to pull the trigger to release it. Hold the trigger back and pull the tab all the way back. Hold it back and the bolt will come out.

devildogandboy
09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
yeah, i think it's the same type i have on my model 16 308. very embarrassing the first time i tried to remove the bolt at the range. i wanted to bore sight the rifle for the first time and couldn't figure out how to remove the bolt, luckily there was a rangemaster on hand that had some experience with it.
when i got home i couldn't remember how to do it, forgot what the rangemaster showed me. looked in the manual and read it a few times and practiced doing the bolt removal. seemed easy after doing several times, just hope i remember the next time i take it out!

M.O.A.
09-01-2012, 06:48 PM
welp congrads on your new shooter and welcome to the family

Dennis
09-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis

Dennis
Wrong. If the barrel nut is unfluted, it's one of the newer action designs. The bolt release is the tab right in front of the trigger guard but you have to pull the trigger to release it. Hold the trigger back and pull the tab all the way back. Hold it back and the bolt will come out.

I just went and checked my model 10 and it is the side bolt release model, which all of mine are. I also check the manual and it seems four models have either the side bolt release or the bottom bolt release.

It doesn't hurt to get educated. I have about 10 Savages and "none" are the bottom release model. If the side bolt release is the older model, my guns must be getting old.

Now I won't get embarresed at the range,

Dennis

hafejd30
09-02-2012, 01:23 PM

As a side note you dont need to pull the trigger back. Just the accutrigger blade from my experience.

Westcliffe01
09-02-2012, 01:39 PM
It must be the "precision carbine" with the round receiver. I have one in 223. It has shot 1/2MOA since day 1 with no tweaking. So far it is the most accurate rifle I own. Just a pity that Savage decided on 1:9 twist so I am pushing the limits with 75gr match bullets. I have yet to see, but in cold conditions they might not stabilize. I have shot down to about 25F but at -20 things could fall apart...

If yours is the very latest model, it should not have the additional wedge at the recoil lug which mine does. That does complicate putting the action back in the stock on mine. But apparently it does its job (to preload the recoil lug) very well.