PDA

View Full Version : about velocity and accuracy ??

acemisser
08-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Does velocity have an effecton the accuracy of a bullet ?

If your or me is shooting a 175 grian bullet in my 308 at 250 yard
fairly accurate at a given velocity....Well I be able to reduce this
velocity for lighter recoil and still be able to get the same accuracy..
My 308 is a 1 in 10 and to date this 175 is about the only bullet I have
found that is a good shooter..
But with a messed up right shoulder,the recoil after a few shot is making be
develpoe a **** flinch..I hate it...I didn't want to try anyother loads
until I got some opinions on this..Tried some 125 grain match,and it was a joke.
So if you been then and doe that,I would like to know....Ace

On a side note I have read where one can use cast bullet loading data with
Jacketed bullets....I aint too sure about that..Cause it takes less to push that
lead bullet out the barrel than a jacketed bullet...Any comment...

Blue Avenger
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Not that I have seen. More the vibration nodes. You can normally find a a low med and high speed node. A lot of the time, the low one can be the best for accuracy, But who wants that! LOL I try and hit the med one for barrel life on my fast stuff, And the low one for thumpers.

acemisser
08-28-2012, 03:54 PM
??? now I am corn fused

skypilot
08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Generally as long as the velocity is reasonably constant the grouping should be also.

I'm not speaking for Blue Avenger, but he was refering to the fact that barrels vibrate with the movement of the bullet along the barrel and also the pressure wave. As a reloader tries(shoots) several powder charges fom low to a high pressure sign, he should always see 2 and many times three "nodes" or clusters/groups when shooting from low number of powder grains to max powder grains.

So from say 42 gr to 45 gr of XYZ powder a reloader may see a node for example, around 42.4 gr again at 43.8 and maybe again near 45. The one near the lower end accuracy node may be the one you are wanting Ace, due to shoulder. Does that make sense?

Blue Avenger
08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
OK basic 101

Barrels vibrate and can toss bullets all over if you get the wrong frequency. When the barrel moves, it has to stop like a pendulum to change directions. At the point of stoping and changing directions is to best time for the bullet to leave the barrel. That is why some loads with the same bullet & powder can be awful and a slower or faster load is awesome.

acemisser
08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
got it now....thanks