PDA

View Full Version : Mounts and QR rings for a 116 w/express sights?

kevin_stevens
08-28-2012, 04:13 AM
I've been thinking this over for a few days, and it came up in another thread where someone was recommending the EGW Picatinny rail system. I'll just quote my message:

Yeah, the problem is its a dangerous game rifle and I want to be able to get the scope off if required. (Otherwise I'd put on a DNZ Game Reaper one-piece base and ring setup, which I love.) I'd like to go with a Warne QR system and two-piece steel bases (blind magazine so I don't want a one-piece base getting in the way). But I'm not sure that with the long action I'm going to have enough scope tube length to play with, so I might need a rail system. All the rails I've seen are aluminum, probably of necessity so they won't weigh a ton. I'm still waiting to receive the rifle, so I'm playing with ideas at this point.

This is for an 116 flat receiver Alaskan Guide that I bought (going through DROS right now). I want to keep the open sights and be able to remove the scope (notionally a 2-7x33 VX-R w/red dot I have) quickly to use them. So I need a good QR system, AND for the bases to be flexible enough to get the scope usable over that long action receiver, AND for them to hold up to a .375 H&H. In a perfect world I could get two-piece solid steel Weaver bases and Warne Maxima QR rings and everything would line up great and I'd have perfect eye relief and good access to the magazine. But somehow I don't think it's going to be that simple. :)

KeS

skypilot
08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Kevin, I shoot a A bolt in 375 H&H. I use the leupold LX base. It is the ultimate setup for sticky situations. You can "shed" the scope, rings, base and be down to express sights with one push of a button.

I have a Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5 on mine and have had to dump the scope several times. The Zero returns with no problem by simply replacing the LX on a recoil lug, takes maybe 5 seconds.

Hope this helps ya.

EDIT: here is a link... go to
Optics Planet website......./leupold-lx-rings-bases-mounting-system.html

kevin_stevens
08-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Yup, the LX setup is great! Two problems:

1) They seem to be discontinued.

2) They were never made for the Savage 110.

:(

KeS

M.O.A.
08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
you could us the quick release mounts from leupold

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/113/113717.jpg

there steel and have lots of room to load and you can remove the scope quickly