PDA

View Full Version : Model 16 FCSS 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel Swap

Geo_Erudite
08-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first gun, and I chose a model 16 FCSS in 6.5 Creedmoor. Down the line (near future) I would like to do a barrel change to a CBI 26, but I want to "beef' up the barrel to Varmit width. By "beefing" up the barrel, do I need to make any alterations to the factory stock to accommodate the extra barrel width? Further down the road, I would eventually change out the stock. Also, is there a different barrel nut wrench for the stainless model 16 rifles?

I thank you in advance for any and all of your advice. Also, I have noticed that people on here tend to be more pro .260 than 6.5 creedmoor, is there a reason?

Ninedv
08-27-2012, 09:20 PM
As far as 6.5CM vs 260 from what i can tell most say the 6.5cm is a down loaded 260... from my experience with the 6.5cm and what people post for velocities on the 260 my loads in my gun with the 140 amax are right on par with 260 rem. loads of the same weight, if not faster. the cons for the 260 were old case design of a shallower shoulder which required more case trimming and less efficient powder burn. I jumped on the 6.5cm band wagon after seeing brass was cheap, the round was designed for the purposes i was going to use it for, and its slippery BC. The 260 was an older designed case, burned more powder for equal velocities, and the brass and dies for the 6.5x47 were at a considerable higher cost. Seems the 6.5x47, the 260, and the 6.5 cm are all neck and neck. Go with what you care to see stamped on the barrel and what you can afford. My $0.02 as always...
As far as going to a beefier barrel, most seem to take a wooden dowel wrapped in sandpaper to open the barrel channel to fit. I have not done this but it is recommended by the last stock manufacturer i bought from.
Ive seen three barrel nuts, one is a smooth nut with no ridges at all, one has square notches and the other has rounded.
best of luck,
Jesse

darkker
09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first gun, and I chose a model 16 FCSS in 6.5 Creedmoor. Down the line (near future) I would like to do a barrel change to a CBI 26, but I want to "beef' up the barrel to Varmit width. By "beefing" up the barrel, do I need to make any alterations to the factory stock to accommodate the extra barrel width? Further down the road, I would eventually change out the stock. Also, is there a different barrel nut wrench for the stainless model 16 rifles?

I thank you in advance for any and all of your advice. Also, I have noticed that people on here tend to be more pro .260 than 6.5 creedmoor, is there a reason?

The stock question really just depends upon your stock, and how large of a barrel you get. You will probably have to do some opening work, yes.

There is a wrench for the "slotted" old style nut, and one for the new smooth nut. Otherwise they are all the same.

Differences:
Really I chock this one up to people seeing "The new kid on the block" as un-useful.
The 260 has about a grain more case capacity, and with light bullets is a tick faster.
Where the Creed becomes "useful" is with the heavies. Unlike the 260, the Creedmoor doesn't lose capacity/ seating depth.
Technically speaking, the creed will do the same job with less powder. Practically they are the same.

It's akin to the old argument of 308 Vs. the 30-06.
Practically speaking they really are the same; but some folks have very strong opinions anyway.

M.O.A.
09-01-2012, 06:40 PM
plus 1 for what they say.

P.S. i have a 6.5CM and can say its a joy to shoot you can pull the trigger all day and never know it till you look in your wallet ;-}