PDA

View Full Version : Fluting VS Recontouring

nivlac1960
12-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm looking to reduce the weight of my SS ER Shaw heavy contour 325WSM. When I ordered the barrel they said I couldn't get that caliber in a smaller contour for liability/safety reasons. Not really thinking about the weight I ordered it anyway. The barrel started out at 26". I had my gunsmith shorten it by 4" and add a 2" muzzlebrake. BTW the accuracy is fine. It's still way too heavy to carry. I also had to use a Bell and Carlson Dura-Maxx stock which makes it even heavier. Will I see much weight reduction with the fluting? I've seen other rifles in this caliber with much smaller contours. I would really like to have the barrel recontoured and go with a factory Savage stock. What are your thoughts?

pdog06
12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I would definately not go to a Savage factory stock over a Duramax if it were me. I cant see it saving much weight. With fluting a 22" barrel you will probably not even notice the difference when carrying it. I cant see it shaving more than a few ounces off it.

Recontouring it will save you the most weight, depending on how much you wanna take off of it. But then you'd also have to buy a new muzzlebrake. Before I did it though I would find out from ER Shaw why it is a safety concern in a smaller contour in their barrels. Sounds kinda odd.

How much does the gun weigh now?

nivlac1960
12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
pdog06
It weighs 10.25 pounds scoped and unloaded. what I really want is to get my rifle closer to the weight of my Model 16 270 WSM. It weighs 8.25 pounds scoped and unloaded.

nivlac1960
12-21-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't seem to be getting much help with this so I'll probably just order a new lighter barrel.