PDA

View Full Version : #10 mag issue/bolt over ride

Texas Solo
08-26-2012, 12:33 PM
I've had a problem ever since I bought this rifle 3 years ago. It's a #10 PH in .223 w/brush camo.
The mag is VERY difficult to get inserted all the way, and even when I'm sure it's all the way in, I get bolt over ride.
I have to place the back of mag in first, the push HARD to get the front to "snap" in place. It's the only way the mag will go in all the way.
I spoke to Savage about it when the rifle was new, and they they said it must be a weak mag spring, although the mag/rifle was new.
They sent me a spring which I installed to no avail.
I stupidly let the issue go at the time, having lost my hunting area to new construction. But now that I'm using the rifle more, I want it right.
I'm sure Savage won't cover this under warranty now.

I'm hoping someone here has had the same issue and has a solution.
Thanks for any info you can share.

hafejd30
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I had a issue with an after-market 9 round mag that was similar to this. I had to file some material off the corners of the magazine where it contacts the DBM. It was a bit to high to fit. If this is not the issue then take the rifle to your nearest gun shop and ask them to try a different magazine in the rifle. This would be the simple fix. If this doesnt work then move to the rifle for the problem.

sharpshooter
08-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Loosen the front action screw slightly and see if that helps. If it does, place a shim washer between the magazine frame and stock on the front screw.