PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 57?

Shoot-N-Nut
08-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Ok so Im starting a build on this .458 Win Mag carbine. Keeping with the classic African style rifle I wanted to go with the banded front sight and a express rear sight mounted on a quarter rib. After laying out my quarter rib blank on this barrel its no problem contouring it to fit over the smooth barrel nut and mating up with the front of the reciever but with the height of the express sight on top of the rib my front sight would have to be a half inch tall and thats on top of a banded front sight base, this sight would look like a sail boat on the end of the barrel! I know the Lyman 57 and I think the Williams FP 10 reciever sights are listed for the Savage 110 but the action Im useing is an older 110 with the flat top rear ring, nothing on either sight states if its for round or flat reciever.

So to my question. Does anybody know if the Lyman 57 or the Williams FP 10 will mount to the flat top reciever? I dont want to spend dam near $100 on a sight if it wont work.

nsaqam
08-26-2012, 11:33 AM
The Lyman 57 mounts to the side of the rear bridge and will work great on a flat rear 110.
Better than on a round rear as the sight can be adjusted lower on the flat rear actions.

nsaqam
08-26-2012, 11:34 AM
You will need to D&T the side of the bridge however.

Shoot-N-Nut
08-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Drilling and tapping is no problem as long as it will fit the reciever. Thanks for the reply.

nsaqam
08-26-2012, 12:05 PM
The Lyman predated the round back action by like 40 years. Some of the older 110's came with the holes already D&T'd.

Shoot-N-Nut
08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
This is an older rifle, but not old enough to be drilled for the reciever sight. Ive put a couple 57's on rifles several years ago, but wasnt sure if the newer 57's had been changed since the rifles had changed or not. But anyway I found a New Old Stock 57 never mounted on flea bay with the little target knobs so you dont have to use a screwdriver to adjust it for $70, not bad considering the list price for them new is $90 without the target knobs.