PDA

View Full Version : Removing stock on a 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP

cwsanfor
08-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I have a new 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP, and am having trouble rmoving the stock. I followed the directions in the manual:

"1. Turn the firearm upside down, with the muzzle pointed away from you.
2. Using a 5/32” Allen wrench, loosen and remove the two screws securing the stock. FIGURE 9
is for a TOP LOAD or DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE and FIGURE 10 shows the HINGED
FLOOR PLATE
3. Remove the stock."

This barrel seems free toward the muzzle end, but the receiver seems tightly attached at the breech end. I googled this, and there's no indication that much force need be used. The bolt and magazine are removed, and I've tried with the gun on and off safety.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

jpdown
08-25-2012, 10:10 PM
There should be nothing holding it in the stock unless the pin for the safety has slide over and is catching on the stock. Try moving the safety position to see if they will work.

thomae
08-25-2012, 10:24 PM
There are actually 3 (three) screws on the bottom of the rifle (Some target actions have 4, but we'll not worry about that right now.).

1. The screw at the rear of the triggerguard only serves to hold the triggerguard to the stock. It is not really an action screw, and usually does not have a hex head.

2. the second screw is just forward of the trigger. If your rifle has the bolt release located at the forward end of the triggerguard, it covers up this screw. You will need to push the bolt release button all the way to the rear. Underneath the button you will find your "hidden" action screw that needs to be removed to free the action from the stock.

3. The last screw is just forward of the magazine, regardless of whether or not it is a DBM, Top load, or hinged floor plate. If you have a DBM with the metal floor plate, the magazine release button can partially cover the action screw.

I hope this helps.

jpdown
08-25-2012, 11:28 PM
I just looked at a picture of the 11/111 Trophy XP Hunter on Savage Arms web site. The bolt release is in front of the trigger. The rear action screw is under the release in front of the trigger guard. Pull back on your trigger and at the same time slide the plastic bolt release in front of the trigger back and you will see the rear action screw you need to remove. I have the 11 Hunter XP which has the side bolt release.

cwsanfor
08-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Got it. Thanks all.