Willoughby
08-24-2012, 09:51 AM
I have a Savage 110 FCP in 300wm with a H&S stock
I ordered the Accurate Mag DBM that comes on the FCP in 338 with a H&S stock
but with a 300wm mag- of course to get the 3.850 internal length
the metal fits fine -drop in
but the screws are to short
I have some Rem 700 screws I could maybe cut down & get to work but
I would like to order the correct ones from Savage but their parts finder only works with a serial #
I would like to use correct lenght & hardness screws -
if any one has a FCP in 338 lapua with a H&S stock
and would either let me know the length
or maybe even let me pay you to order some from savage
using your serial # for me ?
any help or thoughts appreciated

Elkbane
08-24-2012, 11:25 AM
You've basically customized the gun, so there probably isn't anyone who can tell you the exact proper screw length - you'll have to measure them. What I'd do is use the tail end of a caliper as a depth guage to measure the approximate length, buy them, then you can adjust by grinding or filing off a few threads to fit. If your current ones are too short, then you know they have to be at least as long........You can find the screws at a Fastenal or Ace Hardware - get Stainless buttonhead 14x28 screws of the proper length. It will be faster and cheaper than ordering a screw.

Or you can get carbon steel and blue them yourself - pretty easy to do. Just degrease, dip in bluing solution, rinse with water, wipe down with degreased steel wool. Repeat until you get the color you want - probably 2-3 times is about right.
Elkbane

Clint KY
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I just went though this taking a Stevens 200 action to a Savage Model 10 wooden stock. I called Brownell's and explained the situation to the lady who answered the phone. She gave me the following two numbers:

855-000-093WB - Front Action Screw - wood stock
855-000-031WB - Rear Action Screw - wood stock

She parted me with $11.65 for the screws and the shipping and I had them in hand in two days (NY- KY) -

Nandy
08-24-2012, 06:08 PM
I got replacement screws from a local hardware store. It cost me 50 cents for 2 screws(Black Oxide Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw), 2 nuts and 2 washers, .... find you a local store, take one of the original screws with you, let them find you the closest size to what you want, then you can do your own fitting if needed. I have a set of tap/dies but most of the times I just get 2 nuts in the bolt, do the cutting with hacksaw, dremel cutting disk, etc then slowly unscrew one of the nuts to smooth the threads. You can try to chamfer the first or up to the second thread to make it easier to start.
Good luck!

tinkerer
08-24-2012, 08:16 PM
1/4 X 28.

Larry
Tinkerer